Chicks hatching at different rates

Chikitty

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2024
Newbie silkie hatcher trying to figure things out. I locked down the incubator on day 18 with 11 eggs. Day 20 the first one hatched. Day 21 2 more hatched. All 3 of these were healthy normal chicks. Day 22 2 hatched, one with curled toes and one with both curled toes and spraddle legs. I was about to give up on the rest of the eggs when another one pipped on day 23 and hatched with assistance on day 24. It is a completely normal chick. If curled toes and spraddle leg are caused by heat and or humidity fluctuations why was the one exposed to the most of those hatch a normal chick?

Last edited:
Newbie silkie hatcher trying to figure things out. I locked down the incubator on day 18 with 11 eggs. Day 20 the first one hatched. Day 21 2 more hatched. All 3 of these were healthy normal chicks. Day 22 2 hatched, one with curled toes and one with both curled toes and spraddle legs. I was about to give up on the rest of the eggs when another one pipped on day 23 and hatched with assistance on day 24. It is a completely normal chick. If curled toes and spraddle leg are caused by heat and or humidity fluctuations why was the one exposed to the most of those hatch a normal chick?
If all eggs were stored the same way and same age, all put in incubator same time then your incubator has hot and cold spots this is common in incubators. Do you have separate calibrated thermometer/hygrometer to know if temps/humidity is correct.

If all eggs were stored the same way and same age, all put in incubator same time then your incubator has hot and cold spots this is common in incubators. Do you have separate calibrated thermometer/hygrometer to know if temps/humidity is correct.
Thank you. I will get one and check it before I try hatching eggs again. Naively, I relied on the incubators temp and humidity gauges. According to them it held steady throughout the process but sadly, as you suggested it must have had hot and cold spots.

Yes, temps could be holding steady just not right temp in all spots what type off incubator still air or forced air. As still air incubators are the worst for this.
Forced air. I dont know the brand, it was a hand me down from someone I know. I think if I decide to do this again I will invest in a different one.

I would get separate gauges and see where you're at with what you have before buying new you may just need to adjust accordingly. But does sound like you have some hot/cold spots.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely do that if I decide to hatch more. This first go round has been both a great learning experience and a heartbreaking one. I never realized I would get emotionally attached to unhatched chicken eggs! lol

Back
Top Bottom