chicks seemingly in distress

slbenter

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 24, 2013
Dover Tennessee
Hi, I'm an old member, but just recently got some new chicks after a 1 year hiatus.
I have 8 chicks, just brought them home today. They're in a playpen brooder, with food, water, and a brooder plate. Temps are good, they've figured out the nipple waterer, and have everything they need.

My problem? Well, they're afraid of the dark, it seems like! When I go to the room to check out why I hear a chick's distress call, and turn on the light in the room, they shut up. But then they all come out, and start eating, drinking....so I turn out the light, and several go ballistic! Really crying! I leave them alone for a little while so maybe they'll calm down....and most of them do except for one keeps crying.
I go back in the room again, turn on the light, and once again they shut up.:hmm
I really don't want to just let the screaming chick scream, so I'm wondering what I should do besides leave the light on all night. Any suggestions?

Hi, I'm an old member, but just recently got some new chicks after a 1 year hiatus.
I have 8 chicks, just brought them home today. They're in a playpen brooder, with food, water, and a brooder plate. Temps are good, they've figured out the nipple waterer, and have everything they need.

My problem? Well, they're afraid of the dark, it seems like! When I go to the room to check out why I hear a chick's distress call, and turn on the light in the room, they shut up. But then they all come out, and start eating, drinking....so I turn out the light, and several go ballistic! Really crying! I leave them alone for a little while so maybe they'll calm down....and most of them do except for one keeps crying.
I go back in the room again, turn on the light, and once again they shut up.:hmm
I really don't want to just let the screaming chick scream, so I'm wondering what I should do besides leave the light on all night. Any suggestions?
Maybe that one got lost and isn’t under the heat plate? Can you go in with a flash light instead of turning the whole room light on and check? And if he is out, put him back under???? If not, leave him alone and let him cry it out!

Maybe if you have the funds just throw up a red LED light? They say the warm light makes them feel safe... even if its not used for a heat source.

Maybe that one got lost and isn’t under the heat plate? Can you go in with a flash light instead of turning the whole room light on and check? And if he is out, put him back under???? If not, leave him alone and let him cry it out!
No, they're all under the plate. I was afraid the one crying was being squished, or something...but when I turned on the light, they all became quiet. Actually, the crier just became quiet.
Thanks for your suggestion. It's been a long time since I've had chicks...4 years now. Guess I'm not used to the routine like I thought I would be!

No, they're all under the plate. I was afraid the one crying was being squished, or something...but when I turned on the light, they all became quiet. Actually, the crier just became quiet.
Thanks for your suggestion. It's been a long time since I've had chicks...4 years now. Guess I'm not used to the routine like I thought I would be!
Ohhh okay that’s weird! I think they are training you, unfortunately! LOL

Back
Top Bottom