Choose your fighter! Who will lay the first egg?

WesterBee

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Central Oregon
The pullets have will reach the 18 week mark this Wednesday and as they continue to shape shift into “real chickens” as the kiddo says, we’ve begun a discussion in the house which has turned into a bet/poll on who will lay the first egg. Many non-chicken people guesses currently have Blondie the Brahma in the lead with Corduroy the (we think) Sapphire Gem as a close second. I thought it would be fun to bring this to the BYC forum to see what y’all have to say! I certainly know who my money is on 😉

Pictures are in this order:
Blondie the Brahama
Corduroy the Sapphire Gem
Odin the Dominant Copper
Rainier the “Color Pack Blue”
The whole flock

Can’t wait for your opinions and I will definitely be updating this thread as we get these girls’ first eggs!

Attachments

• IMG_6935.jpeg
    IMG_6935.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7018.jpeg
    IMG_7018.jpeg
    943.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7011.jpeg
    IMG_7011.jpeg
    539.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7026.jpeg
    IMG_7026.jpeg
    744.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7004.jpeg
    IMG_7004.jpeg
    524.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6938.jpeg
    IMG_6938.jpeg
    413.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6942.jpeg
    IMG_6942.jpeg
    641.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6939.jpeg
    IMG_6939.jpeg
    754.8 KB · Views: 10
Knowing chickens, I would definitely vote Corduroy the Sapphire Gem as the first to lay, but looking at the pictures (if they were all taken today) I will say otherwise. I'm going to vote Rainier the “Color Pack Blue” as first with Odin the Dominant Copper as second. Brahmas are a later-to-lay breed, so I would put her as last (though her face and comb is saying otherwise). Are any of them squatting? The one who squats the most is the one I would say will lay first.

Knowing chickens, I would definitely vote Corduroy the Sapphire Gem as the first to lay, but looking at the pictures (if they were all taken today) I will say otherwise. I'm going to vote Rainier the “Color Pack Blue” as first with Odin the Dominant Copper as second. Brahmas are a later-to-lay breed, so I would put her as last (though her face and comb is saying otherwise). Are any of them squatting? The one who squats the most is the one I would say will lay first.
You’re thinking along the same lines as me! The photos were all taken within a couple of days of each other and I too have Rainier in the lead as it stands with Odin as a close second. No one is overtly squatting yet but I’m keeping my eye on it for certain! Here is a photo from today, so hard to get everyone in one picture 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_7047.jpeg
    IMG_7047.jpeg
    912 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7044.jpeg
    IMG_7044.jpeg
    758.2 KB · Views: 8
You’re thinking along the same lines as me! The photos were all taken within a couple of days of each other and I too have Rainier in the lead as it stands with Odin as a close second. No one is overtly squatting yet but I’m keeping my eye on it for certain! Here is a photo from today, so hard to get everyone in one picture 🤣
x3 - She has the biggest, most red comb so that's a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom