Choosing who to cull

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
Out of my flock of 83 birds, I’m only getting about a dozen eggs. I know winter slows them down, but it wasn’t much better in the summer. I have various breeds ranging from 4 months - 6 years. What are your guys’ methods for choosing who to thin from the flock? I’m thinking of getting rid of any above 2 years old, and any who is not in good health.

Out of my flock of 83 birds, I’m only getting about a dozen eggs. I know winter slows them down, but it wasn’t much better in the summer. I have various breeds ranging from 4 months - 6 years. What are your guys’ methods for choosing who to thin from the flock? I’m thinking of getting rid of any above 2 years old, and any who is not in good health.
Sounds good to me. I cull based off health, molt length, and age/egg quality. Gauging the width between the pelvic bones is a good way to find the non layers.

Culling birds that are not laying now may be a mistake. A lot of birds are starting or finishing molt, taking a winter break. If you cull based simply on a snap shot of "she's not laying now, and her comb is dry..." you may very well be taking out a gal who will gear back up and start cranking out the eggs in an other month or so.

I would definitely keep any birds who ARE laying now.

We generally hatch out a new flock every year, this means they are in full swing at the beginning of the winter and usually lay well untill the next batch comes along. Culling usually is done before they start laying.

How many of your chickens are younger than 6 weeks?

culling my pets? all are hens, and all give eggs every color, everyday! I wish the roosters would lay!
I raised every one from 1 day old.. Hard for me to choose which of my chickens has to die? Maybe the rooster pain in the beak! but he is pure ameraucana, and the other is a Polish white crested black show quality...
But it's hard to keep 2 roos in the same coop!:idunno

I would also drastically reduce my flock by culling. That does not always mean you are killing them all. Some people might want a few birds, to lay occasional eggs. Even if you don't get much from them, you are not feeding them all winter.

83 birds is a lot to keep track of, once a bird is more than a year, it can be hard to decide their age unless you have them tagged and coded.

Easiest way to save money is to reduce the flock. A smaller vigorous flock is generally much healthier.

Mrs K

I am working towards having an appropriate banding system in place. I'm happy enough this year to just have almost all of my spring pullets banded. They wear bands on R legs. The older hens "should" be banded on L legs, with any to be culled not wearing bands at all. My flock is small enough that if someone looses a band, I'd realize it. And hopefully know whether it came off right or left leg! But, really, the culls should get a specific color. Perhaps next year is the year I get an organized system in place. Think I'll start a new thread, so I'm not hijacking here.

Back
Top Bottom