Christmas candy

Hope this isn't off the topic but...

Does anyone know how to make blackberry candy? I have berries in the freezer, and have made jam before. But I want to cook them down and try my hand at blackberry hard candy. Last time I tried I ended up getting jelly without having to add pectin. If I put some corn syrup in next time, do I have a better chance at getting to hard crack stage?

Ya'll are making me hungry.......how bout a recipe swap? I think that would be great !
big_smile.png

As promised, coconut haystacks...
I've included two versions, the original and a recent addition to my recipe box. If the original is too sweet for your taste, try using unsweetened coconut. Also, if you don't mind using a little food coloring, you can color the original recipe to the color of real haystacks.

COCONUT HAYSTACKS

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups milk
4 cups white sugar
4 cups flaked coconut
1 dash vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together milk and sugar until smooth. Heat, without stirring, to between 234 and 240 degrees F (112 to 116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface. Remove from heat and stir in coconut and vanilla. Let cool slightly.
Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto waxed paper lined sheets and let cool completely.

COCONUT CHOCOLATE HAYSTACKS

INGREDIENTS
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 cup (about 2 oz.) finely crushed graham crackers
1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, divided

PREPARATION
Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Melt chocolate. With a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon, stir in graham crackers and 1 cup coconut.
Mound heaping tablespoon of mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining coconut equally over tops of haystacks. Chill until haystacks are firm, about 1 1/4 hours. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

* I'm sorry, I always forget to write down the yields when doing recipes.
barnie.gif

Gritsar, thanks for giving out the recipes. I just printed this page so I can take it home from the office. I got a bunch of shredded coconut in bulk a while back and need to use it up. So thanks.

Here it is as promised
smile.png

Caution: this is very addictive and highly caloric ENJOY!

The super yummy butter toffee I've made for years

10 ounces whole unblanched almonds (natural ones NOT salted or smoked)
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup water
2 sticks unsalted butter (cut in small chunks)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Toast nuts in a skillet on medium heat for a few minutes until they smell yummy
(no grease or oil in pan)
Cool nuts and chop into desired sized pieces -set aside

You need a clean baking tray coated with vegetable oil or cooking spray.
Grease a spatula with the same method. -set both aside

Using a wooden or heat proof spoon
Mix sugar, corn syrup and water in a small saucepan, over medium heat bring to a boil. Let boil until large bubbles for on the surface (about 3 or 4 minutes)
Cover pan with foil and boil 5 minutes longer at same temp. (I don't know why I just do it per my recipe)

Stir in the pieces of butter and continue cooking uncovered until temp on candy thermometer reaches 300 degrees (about 30 minutes) it takes awhile to get going but it goes fast at the end so watch it well.

Remove from heat and immmediately add the salt, baking soda and the nuts.
mix well

Spread the mixture on the oiled tray using the oiled spatula.
Make a block about 10 x 13 inches. It will thicken quickly so work fast.
Let it harden completely (it usually has some butter on the surface after it cools, so I wipe it off with a paper towel, make sure its COOL first) then score and break into pieces.

For an extra yummy treat- After you've broken it in pieces you can dip them into the melted chocolate of your choice and even add some extra nuts on top. I never did it but I know it would be good.

Thanks so much schmoo
lol.png
these are what I made with my daughter and granddaughter today........
pumpkin159.jpg

We are hoping to sell them on Craigslist............anyone care to say how much you think we should charge? I say 1.00 a piece? let me know what you all think,thanks.
Kathleen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom