Chuck Roast in Crock Pot

sammi_lynn12

Songster
Sep 14, 2022
Grovertown, IN
Not chicken related, just need your thought on this because it has never happened to me before!

Yesterday, I started my crockpot at 9 am with a chuck roast in it for Italian beefs that night. At some point during the day, the breaker blew and the crock pot shut off. When I went back in about 15 mins before it should have been done, I noticed the liquid was beginning to solidify. I opened up the lid and it was warm to touch. I temped it and the meat temped at 70 degrees. The meat was also still red in places. I have no idea when it turned off and no idea how long it sat like that. I plugged it back in and cooked it on high for another 3 hours and it temped well above what it has to. But, now I am afraid to eat it. I hate to throw it out because the chuck roast wasn't cheap but I also don't want to get sick from it either. Mind you, I do have some stomach issues. I had something similar to crohn's disease a few years ago which in turn has given me some IBS and malabsorption issues now.

Should I just toss it? 😭

I, personally, would not. Even if it had sat in the crockpot all day like that, there still wouldn't be anything wrong with it. I've had all kinds of meat sit out all day to thaw, then put it in the fridge in the evening so I can have it the next night for dinner. You'll be just fine if you decide to eat it!

I agree with @AidKD I wouldn't toss it. If you continued to cook it thoroughly, any bacteria will be killed. Cook well and enjoy!
I cooked it another 3 hours on high and it temped at 203 degrees when I took it out of the crock pot. I know beef is a little more forgiving when it comes to leaving it out and stuff vs chicken but not knowing how long it just sat there when it was still raw in places worried me.

I cooked it another 3 hours on high and it temped at 203 degrees when I took it out of the crock pot. I know beef is a little more forgiving when it comes to leaving it out and stuff vs chicken but not knowing how long it just sat there when it was still raw in places worried me.
Sounds like you got it cooked well enough. However if you don't feel right about, don't take any chances and get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom