Cinders: A Chicken Cinderella by Jan Brett

autumnhearth

Songster
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014
Berea, Ohio
http://www.janbrett.com/bookstores/cinders_book.htm

I just finished reading this to my son at bedtime, we bought it through his pre-school's Scholastic book order. I love Jan Brett's stories and illustrations and we have several of her board books. This one is a nice full size hard cover and I'm so glad we got it, it's just beautiful.

The story takes place in Russia and to be expected is lush with folk art, architecture and costumes (yes the chickens wear clothes for the ball). It features many breeds, several of which I recognize but some I'm not certain on. At first I thought Cinders was a little Silver Grey Dorking but it turns out she is a Silver Duckwing Phoenix, as is the prince. (There is a photo at the back of the book and on the webpage above of Jan Brett holding the models).

Instead of a stepmother and sisters the antagonists are the old biddy Largessa (a big white bird) and her "daughters" Pecky and Bossy. Bossy is a Salmon Faverolles which is ironic as they tend to be at the bottom of the pecking order. Oh! And The Fairy Godmother is a beautiful White Silkie.

Very cute, worth checking out at the library even if you don't have kids!

Back
Top Bottom