Cleaning Chicken Poop In Coop!

Would you put it in a pile? Would you use it to make you smile?
tongue.png

Quote:
Would you rake it in the lake? Would you rake it with a stake?

Would you wash is with a hose? Would you smell it with your nose?

Quote:

I Would not clean it with a scoop, I Would not clean it with some soup,
I Would not rake it in the lake, I Would not rake it with a stake,
I Would not put it in a pile, I Would not use it to make me smile,
I Would not wash it with a hose, I Would not smell it with my nose,

I DO NOT LIKE POOP IN MY COOP!!!!!! But I DO like green eggs and ham!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

I Would not clean it with a scoop, I Would not clean it with some soup,
I Would not rake it in the lake, I Would not rake it with a stake,
I Would not put it in a pile, I Would not use it to make me smile,
I Would not wash it with a hose, I Would not smell it with my nose,

I DO NOT LIKE POOP IN MY COOP!!!!!! But I DO like green eggs and ham!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
yippiechickie.gif

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
thumbsup.gif
wee.gif

Well I clean my coop everyday.
The house is at one end of the run..above ground.
The front is all open right now, we will close it in wintertime so the peeps can stay warm.
The floor has linoleum tiles...I scrape that off and brush out each day.
Then I rake the poo off the ground and put in a can.
Right now we have a big plastic can for the poo.
We have no shavings, but will probably use that in the winter.

We are in SC...it is hot, so if we let it sit I am sure it would stink bad uncleaned.

Quote:
I have a dirt floor also. Its a converted horse stall with a 10x20 run outside. I go to my local rock quarry and get gravel screenings and cover the dirt floor inside and out. I simply shovel out poop from under roost each morning and poo pick it out of the run. Takes just a few minutes and my coop stays clean with no flies.

I clean it out completely once a week. Meaning I scrape, scrub, and change bedding. I have more chickens than I need right now (have 10, need 6) and until we cull the adults in a few weeks I want to make sure the smell is 0.

Sand will be added to the run in about 2-3 weeks, I'm waiting on them to eat down the grass in the run.

We have melamine (cut from sheets of the 4 x 8 sheets you buy to line shower stalls with) poop boards under the roosts (dirt floor in the coop with straw). I recycle the paper feed bags by laying them on the poop boards, when they get full about every 10 days I just take them out, shake into the compst pile, put the old bags in the garbage and lay out some new bags. And the poop boards stay really clean. I also like using the bags because I can shimmy them up the wall a bit so I don't have to hose the wall down so often as our top roost is right up against the wall...and the girls like that one the best
roll.png

Last edited:
lol.png
Love the Suess poems on here !!!!

I have 120 or so chickens right now so this weekend I have the task of shoveling out my chicken barn. I put on my Hepa mask and grab my scoop shovel and wheel barrel. I load the poop into the wheel barrel and wheel it outside of my coop and dump the wheel barrel into the bucket of my tractor. When the tractor bucket is full I drive it to the field and dump it in a spot that doesn't have poop already. Last time I cleaned the coop I had around 30 wheel barrels full which was 6 bucket loads.
So....
When I scoop the poop in my coop I swing my shovel in a loop
So I guess I loop scoop poop

Vinegar will do everything bleach will do, without the dangers/hazards...
Bleach is nasty stuff, and mixed with chicken poop which can contain ammonia...it can create poisonous gas. Bleach is a strong corrosive material.

We live in So Cali and you can buy the big containers of white vinegar at Smart & Final stores for $2.50...
Mix 50/50 water/vinegar...and your all set!

Also, vinegar has about 1000+ other uses in cleaning...you can use it for everything cleaning wise...

We use white vinegar (Smart & Final) for cleaning...
We use Bragg's apple cider vinegar (GNC) for us to take internaly, and we put 1tsp per gallon into the chickens water...builds up their immune system, and keeps the water bowl algae free as well.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom