Cloaca exam for egg binding - END DIAGNOSIS EGG YOLK PERITONITIS

KristinLLB

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta
My approximately 3 yo production red has been acting lethargic for 2 days.

Signs: sitting alone on ground, puffed up. Not eating. (Yesterday she ate meal worms but today she won't). Not drinking. (I started syringing water with antibiotics yesterday, and gave Epsom salts on day 1). Some light green poop around vent.

I thought she might be egg bound, so I did the bath and also lubed up my finger and stuck it up there. The "chamber" was empty. Does that mean she is not egg bound, or should I have tried to feel farther up?

Or other ideas?

I wouldn't go very far. The split between rectum and oviduct is pretty close to the cloaca. (I've seen good diagrams but can't put my hands on one at the moment.) I think the shell ahrdening occurs pretty low down, so eggbound should be evident without reaching far at all.

It is possible she has cocci; the symptoms are right. Although it's mostly a baby chick disease, it does happen in adults. You could try a round of Corid. You will probably have to dropper feed her to get the medicated water in her.

Two inches is about all you need to go until there is mild resistance. Many report that they can feel tumors with a cloacal examine. At 3 years she could be suffering from egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying, especially if you have noticed any soft shell or broken eggs, or she has not been laying regularly. I have had a chicken with a gizzard impaction (and an empty crop) who acted this way, and had green poops from starving. Many things can cause lethargy, so check out mites, worms, impacted crop, and all of these things for a possible cause.

I wouldn't go very far.  The split between rectum and oviduct is pretty close to the cloaca.  (I've seen good diagrams but can't put my hands on one at the moment.)  I think the shell ahrdening occurs pretty low down, so eggbound should be evident without reaching far at all.

It is possible she has cocci; the symptoms are right.  Although it's mostly a baby chick disease, it does happen in adults.  You could try a round of Corid.  You will probably have to dropper feed her to get the medicated water in her.

Do you know the dose? Instructions in bottle are for calves.

Quote: The 9.6 % Corid solution dose is 9.5ml per gallon, which is twice what cattle get. You can also give it orally straight from the syringe at .2ml per 2.2 pounds. If she's not drinking you'll have to fine a way to get the proper amount of fluids into her. She'll need no less than 30ml per 2.2 pounds every 6-8 hours as long as her crop is clearing. Tube feeding this is much safer and way less stressful to both the handler and the bird, so that's what I would suggest. Once she's hydrated you could tube feed her Kaytee Baby Bird Food.

-Kathy

Last edited:
And to answer you question about how far to go, if there is an egg in the uterus, it's been my experience that it's no more than:

• 1.5" - 2" on 30 pound turkey
  • 1" - 1.5" on 10 pound peahen
  • 1" - 1.5" on most large chickens
  • .5" - 1" on medium chickens
  • .25" - 1" on bantams

Here are some pictures:
LL

fig025.jpg

-Kathy

According to these (extremely helpful) pics, I now know that my index finger has explored every inch of the inner surface of Lynne's uterus. (This was not something I ever expected to say in life).

I am very grateful for the advice and knowledge here. I have the Corid and am on the way home shortly to administer it.

According to these (extremely helpful) pics, I now know that my index finger has explored every inch of the inner surface of Lynne's uterus. (This was not something I ever expected to say in life).

I am very grateful for the advice and knowledge here. I have the Corid and am on the way home shortly to administer it.
yuckyuck.gif
You and me both!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom