Cocci Preventation and Feed

CEO

Songster
Jun 14, 2021
In a few days a few chicks are supposed to hatch and we had a few questions. Should we buy feed or can we make it ourselves? We will only be able to keep them for a week or so, so buying feed for those few days seems like a waste. If we did make our own feed would you recommend putting the Corid in water or wait until they get it.

Could we also just use layer feed like is it just a difference in marketing?

Ideally a small bag of chick feed would be the best option. if you must use layer due to short duration, then it needs to be crumble or crushed up for them.

I don't use medicated feed but having Corid on hand is a good idea, but if you're keeping them indoors during a short period with a clean brooder it's probably unlikely they'd have an issue with coccidiosis.

So many different issues here. What's best for them long term versus what you can do in an emergency can be very different.

The calcium in Layer is at a dangerous level for growing chicks, but that is what they average eating over time. And it depends on how much other things they eat. Could those chicks survive on Layer for a week without damage to their liver or kidneys? Probably. It sounds like you might go longer than a week. The longer they go the more the risk.

Chick Starter is generally higher in protein content than Layer. Different brands have different protein content so I can't say for sure what you can get. The higher protein gets them off to a good start in feather development and just growing. That doesn't mean they will die if they get a lower protein feed, just that they don't get as good of a start. And it's not just protein. Chick Starter has other nutrients they need. They could survive for a week on corn meal but they will not get off to a decent start. It could affect how they grow later even on a better diet, but corn meal isn't that bad in an emergency. But it needs to be corn meal, not one of those cornbread mixes with salt and other things in it.

In your situation I'd buy a small bag of Chick Starter so you don't hinder their development. When they leave, add that Starter to your other chicken's feed. Mix in small amounts so you don't mess with the calcium content they need for the egg shells. Or if you offer oyster shell on the side just feed it to them. It doesn't need to be wasted.

Many of us never offer medicated feed or give them Corid. Corid only works against the bug that caused Coccidiosis. If they are not exposed to your other chickens or the ground your chickens walk and poop on they should not be exposed at all. If you keep the brooder dry Coccidiosis generally isn't a problem. If you only have them a week or two, that's not long enough for Coccidiosis to develop into a problem even if they are exposed. I would not bother with the Corid at all.

I got chick feed but one chick hatched 3 days early! Im making one right now but what waterer and feeder would you recommend for the chicks? also there is a mama hen.

What waterer do you use for the mama hen?
230C7E7C-C331-4104-8F00-E91E4BD714A7.png

Btw I found a waterer that does the job.

For water I use a pet food or water bowl (like you used for feed) and fill it with rocks so the chicks can "walk on water" without drowning. Some people use nipples or some get those red chick waterers at the feed store. The hen can drink from all of these.

If you raise the waterer or feeder up a bit they don't scratch nearly as much trash in it. I build a small platform out of 2x4's and plywood about 2' x 2' and put the water in the middle. The chicks can hop up that high to get to it. I cut a round hole in that plywood to set the waterer down in it so they can't turn it over. They will poop in it so you need to empty it daily to keep the water fresh so microbes and mosquito larva can't grow in it.

Back
Top Bottom