Coccidiosis! Corid Isn’t Working!

Frizzlett98

Songster
9 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Southwest Virginia
I have an 8 week old Jersey Giant that has been dealing with coccidiosis for weeks. Confirmed by doing fecal float. She’s been on Corid for 10 days, 2 of those days my husband did the wrong dose so she didn’t get enough in the water, so we added a few extra days to make up for it. We also did direct doses for the first few days. Anyway, today I took another fecal sample and it’s flooded with coccidia. So far she has been the only only one with symptoms but I think her twin sister is starting to show signs as well. She’s been inside away from the bigger chickens so she didn’t have to fight for resources. I’m at a loss on what to do now. She improves some, we stop Corid, and then it’s right back again. She’s only been off Corid for 2 days now and it’s back with a vengeance. I have looked for alternatives to Corid but all I can find is toltrazuril, and I’m not jumping on that since we have a laying hen. If I used that, how long would I have to wait before her eggs could be eaten? Is there something else I could try?

I would start Corid now by a direct drench dose, 1/4 tsp. Then start the Corid in the water 2 tsp (10 ml) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Is that the dosage you were using? Next I would get either the toltrazuril or a sulfa antibiotic such as Albon or sulfadimethoxine from your vet asap. You may be dealing with a resistant strain. Stop the Corid when you get the other medicine. Both toltrazuril and sulfa antibiotics require an egg withdrawal time, but you can try to save her life first.

Toltrazuril egg withdrawal time is between 14 days and 42 days.

I would start Corid now by a direct drench dose, 1/4 tsp. Then start the Corid in the water 2 tsp (10 ml) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Is that the dosage you were using? Next I would get either the toltrazuril or a sulfa antibiotic such as Albon or sulfadimethoxine from your vet asap. You may be dealing with a resistant strain. Stop the Corid when you get the other medicine. Both toltrazuril and sulfa antibiotics require an egg withdrawal time, but you can try to save her life first.
Her life is definitely our focus! We only have one laying right now so her eggs are pretty important. I just couldn’t find a direct answer for the withdrawal period when using toltrazuril. I don’t have a vet anywhere near me that will treat chickens, though. So I don’t know what to do about that.

Agree. But just to make sure, what are you feeding her? No vitamins, correct? Sometimes a bird may have a strain that doesn't respond to Corid, so Toltrazuril or a Sulfa antibiotic to treat severe outbreaks.

If you get sulfa antibiotics, the common egg withdrawal time is 21 days, but it would not hurt to wait 30 days. Be sure to only treat the sick hen with those drugs (toltrazuril or sulfa.) A wire dog crate with food and water is how to isolate her, but keep her near the other chickens. Make sure all bedding is dry and as clean as possible. Raise waterers and feeders up to shoulder height of the smallest chicken.

Agree. But just to make sure, what are you feeding her? No vitamins, correct? Sometimes a bird may have a strain that doesn't respond to Corid, so Toltrazuril or a Sulfa antibiotic to treat severe outbreaks.
She eats starter/grower feed, and whatever bugs she can catch outside. She has been on vitamins since taking her off Corid. But I’ll stop that immediately. I can get toltrazuril but not Sulfa. I don’t have a problem with not eating the eggs for a bit. I just can’t find a straight answer as to how long it’ll be before we can.

As she is only 8 weeks old there should be no problems with the withdrawal period.
It will be several months until she starts to lay.
I either have to treat her with my laying hen or I have to bring her inside and put her in the brooder with my younger chicks. I figured treating her with the ones she’s been outside with would be the better option. Which includes the layer.

She eats starter/grower feed, and whatever bugs she can catch outside. She has been on vitamins since taking her off Corid. But I’ll stop that immediately. I can get toltrazuril but not Sulfa. I don’t have a problem with not eating the eggs for a bit. I just can’t find a straight answer as to how long it’ll be before we can.
So there is a good chance that the reason the Corid has not worked is the vitamins! I would give her nothing but feed and Corid.

I either have to treat her with my laying hen or I have to bring her inside and put her in the brooder with my younger chicks. I figured treating her with the ones she’s been outside with would be the better option. Which includes the layer.
You could have her with either, but separate in her own crate while still able to see and communicate with the others. This way only the sick bird would be treated.

Back
Top Bottom