Coccidiosis?

davis_i21

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2022
Hi! First time chicken tender here. My 4 week old chicks have been doing really well so far and have recently started going outside for a few hrs each day when its warm. Today I noticed a couple diarrhea like droppings off one or two of the birds. Pic doesn’t show the color but its a light brown/yellowy color, and a bit unformed and soupy. They have no symptoms other than this which started today. Looking for confirmation that this could be coccidiosis? I’m not sure if its like normal for a bird to have a couple soft droppings every once in a while, or if this sign alone is enough to treat. Any advice appreciated!

Some flock info:
-4 4 wk old australorp pullets (from local tractor supply)
-75 degree brooder set up with new bedding at least twice a week (maybe closer to three times now that they are bigger)
-free access to unmedicated chick starter, grit and water of course
-occasionally get treats like sunflower seeds or mealworms
-access to enclosed outdoor area when it is warm enough out

Attachments

• D72FD1C2-6FC0-4E21-AC01-2527953683E5.jpeg
    D72FD1C2-6FC0-4E21-AC01-2527953683E5.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 15
They are way too young for treats.
I'd recommend stopping both of those things immediately.
The info ive seen has said a couple weeks old they can start having an occasional treat. What makes you say they’re too young? Just generally wondering and trying to learn not being snarky!

They shouldn't be having treats at this point because its like giving a kid candy for dinner-its not nutritionally advantageous while they're growing. They will eat the treats instead of actual food. Even if its just a little that takes up space in their crop that should have been filled with food to help them grow. Maybe there are other reasons but I never give my chicks treats.

As far as poops and going outside and cocci, you might consider starting them on medicated feed now that they're outdoors. But I don't think a couple runny poops is a big deal.

They shouldn't be having treats at this point because its like giving a kid candy for dinner-its not nutritionally advantageous while they're growing. They will eat the treats instead of actual food. Even if its just a little that takes up space in their crop that should have been filled with food to help them grow. Maybe there are other reasons but I never give my chicks treats.

As far as poops and going outside and cocci, you might consider starting them on medicated feed now that they're outdoors. But I don't think a couple runny poops is a big deal.
thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom