Cochin Thread!!!

droolin.gif

WoW
droolin.gif

Going to show my black bantams in OUR first show next weekend! Have no clue what to do really....wash birds and pray :) Hoping to meet lots of nice helpful people.

I am getting desperate to help my flock of cochins with constant diarrhea and other symptoms. Please take a moment to read through my thread here if you can possibly help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...for-help-with-sick-cochins-with-poopy-bottoms Today I bawled my eyes out on the kitchen floor after bathing several more of my chickens and this has got to get better.

I medicated my thirteen cochins with safeguard equine paste yesterday. One of them pooped when I checked on them this morning, and there were squirming little skinny worms in them. Yuck, but I would rather it be this than some sort of bacterial or viral problem. Definitely the lesser evil. After doing some researching, they appear to be hairworms/capillaria. I will medicate with safeguard again in 10 days. I have neomycin on hand now as an antibiotic, but will hold off using it, if they are improving from just the deworming. My kids have fed them earthworms in the past, which I now read are an intermediate host for hairworm. They got a lecture this morning about what they are allowed to feed the chickens. I will probably still switch to the crumble food so it is easier on them to digest, and keep using the electrolytes/vitamins/probiotics in the water.

I medicated my thirteen cochins with safeguard equine paste yesterday. One of them pooped when I checked on them this morning, and there were squirming little skinny worms in them. Yuck, but I would rather it be this than some sort of bacterial or viral problem. Definitely the lesser evil. After doing some researching, they appear to be hairworms/capillaria. I will medicate with safeguard again in 10 days. I have neomycin on hand now as an antibiotic, but will hold off using it, if they are improving from just the deworming. My kids have fed them earthworms in the past, which I now read are an intermediate host for hairworm. They got a lecture this morning about what they are allowed to feed the chickens. I will probably still switch to the crumble food so it is easier on them to digest, and keep using the electrolytes/vitamins/probiotics in the water.
This is wonderful news, I'm very happy for you. And yes I agree this is much better than some mysterious pathogen. I'm sure you'll see a rapid improvement in your birds.

Hi guys!
I am getting my first( well I was given a beautiful buff cochin hen named genny penny as a kid) my first bantam cochin. S/he will arrive in mid may. All the research I have done and things I have read tell me they are wonderful birds!!!! I'm really excited!!! Are they as great as I hear? Genny penny was a really really friendly good lookin girl!

My little Peepers has grown so much, even overnight!

I'm pretty sure he/she is a Silver Laced Cochin (he/she is a bantam). We have had them for three weeks now. Not sure how they were when we got them but maybe a week but I don't think any older than that.

Just now.

Back
Top Bottom