Cochin Thread!!!

Thanks Karen,

I'm getting red chicks but no buffs so far. I have two partridge chicks too which makes me really happy!

Shows are on through May so I'm disrupting normal chicken life for now.

Once we get off the road, it will be back to serious breeding through to August shows :)

well, the buff roo I have is to put type over my reds... then the long haul back to red again. but the only difference genetically is dilute, so that should be easy to eliminate since it's dominant.

first gen will be buff, second gen will start throwing reds again, about 25%. or put over a red about 50%. I really like the buffs but have too many projects going on to get a good buff line going too LOL

Please explain how one refers to the cute little back view of these little Cochin? I am totally in love with the fluffiness!I know the term fluffybutts but do Cochin have a special term used??

Last edited:
Ok cochin lovers/more experienced cochin people. I am going to buy my first ever cochin chicks today and I am not allowed to have roosters so if they turn out to be roos I will have to re home them witch will break my heart so I have down research and what I have found there's not an exact way to sex the chicks. Do any of you have any secret tricks or ways to help the chances of picking a pullet... Please help!

Ok cochin lovers/more experienced cochin people. I am going to buy my first ever cochin chicks today and I am not allowed to have roosters so if they turn out to be roos I will have to re home them witch will break my heart so I have down research and what I have found there's not an exact way to sex the chicks. Do any of you have any secret tricks or ways to help the chances of picking a pullet... Please help!
Vent sexing and unless you are experienced I would not recommend trying it because you can actually hurt the chicks. I have heard a lot of wives tales about how you can but they are not proven. Depending on the age I try and look for chicks that have more feathering than others because cockerels are slow to feather out but this isn't fool proof either because you can get a slow feathering pullet. Just grab some you like a pray the are pullets you have a 50/50 chance
wink.png

Vent sexing and unless you are experienced I would not recommend trying it because you can actually hurt the chicks. I have heard a lot of wives tales about how you can but they are not proven. Depending on the age I try and look for chicks that have more feathering than others because cockerels are slow to feather out but this isn't fool proof either because you can get a slow feathering pullet. Just grab some you like a pray the are pullets you have a 50/50 chance
wink.png
I agree with wickedhens about the feathering. It has been my experience that the pullets to feather in more quickly than the males. Look particularly across the back.

Back
Top Bottom