Cochin Thread!!!

Hi! I'm new to owning Cochins. I have one Splash that is about 6 months old, she hasn't started laying eggs yet. I also have a black one that is about 12 weeks old. It wasn't until this week that I realized the black one must be a bantam. I was comparing pictures and when the Splash was 12 weeks old she was twice as big as the black one is right now. I didn't realize there were different size Cochins! How big can I expect the bantam Cochin to get? Do they have the same behavioral characteristics as standard Cochins? What about egg laying? I feel silly for not realizing this until now! When I bought the black one I don't remember them being sold as bantams.
I have both standards and bantam and to me they are completely different. I prefer the bantams who can be goofy and more outgoing.

I adore the roosters and their antics. The hens are sweet. They go broody often and I use them as my incubators. They will hatch anything and are usually great mothers.

I would always choose bantams over standard cochins. They also routinely come in frizzle which makes them even more adorable.

I have a question...I have 2 cochins and a brahma, they dont seem to roost high up the bigger they get, i want them to roost safely and comfortable, are there any ideas yall have for roost since they are so big????, mine are 6 months and of course will get much bigger...

I have a question...I have 2 cochins and a brahma, they dont seem to roost high up the bigger they get, i want them to roost safely and comfortable, are there any ideas yall have for roost since they are so big????, mine are 6 months and of course will get much bigger...
They are bigger birds, and they shouldn't roost up too high to avoid hurting their legs coming down. I wouldn't do any higher than 3-4 feet, and I would make sure they are a step system with less than a foot between the steps so they can get up on them. I recommend 2x4 with the 4 up, sand them well to avoid bumblefoot.

Anyone have any recommendations on full sized chicken breeds that I can successfully mix in with my 5 bantam Cochin hens next spring? We are going to be moving and getting 5 acres so we are going to expand our flock! I plan on only having one large coop, there is an old large playhouse on our property that we will be converting soon! I'm not planning on breeding or anything just a little egg production for the kids to be able to sell some eggs to close family and friends every now and then.

Anyone have any recommendations on full sized chicken breeds that I can successfully mix in with my 5 bantam Cochin hens next spring? We are going to be moving and getting 5 acres so we are going to expand our flock! I plan on only having one large coop, there is an old large playhouse on our property that we will be converting soon! I'm not planning on breeding or anything just a little egg production for the kids to be able to sell some eggs to close family and friends every now and then.

More bantam cochins? :D

alot of people get silkies or booted bantams/d'uccle to keep with bantam cochins. mine have been around all my breeds with no major issues.

What breeds/qualities do you like?

I just noticed you said full size. I'd go with something on the smaller end of full size

alot of people get silkies or booted bantams/d'uccle to keep with bantam cochins. mine have been around all my breeds with no major issues.

I just noticed you said full size. I'd go with something on the smaller end of full size
Generally I would agree with you, but smaller breeds that are still standards tend to be more feisty. I would second more bantams.

I would also recommend salmon faverolle if egg production isn't a necessity, otherwise my buff Orpingtons have always been gentle.

What are some friendly full sized breeds that are decent layers? I actually have 1 Silkie and I know they are supposed to be really friendly but she's my least friendly!

Black Cock bird that was Reserve Bantam at show last weekend. Silver Laced pullets out in the yard earlier this summer and Buff Columbians hatched this year.
DSCF7881.JPG
DSCF7580.JPG
DSCF7340.JPG

Back
Top Bottom