Cochin Thread!!!

Sounds like a lot of fun and a great experience for you both! I plan on getting my daughter into showing. I used to show horses. Chickens are so much less fuss! I think we'd have a lot of fun. Stepped away from the horse show world due to all the politics involved. Just wasn't fun anymore. If your son does show her, make sure to get lots of pics and post them here. We'll all be rooting for them! 🤗

Sounds like a lot of fun and a great experience for you both! I plan on getting my daughter into showing. I used to show horses. Chickens are so much less fuss! I think we'd have a lot of fun. Stepped away from the horse show world due to all the politics involved. Just wasn't fun anymore. If your son does show her, make sure to get lots of pics and post them here. We'll all be rooting for them! 🤗
We sure will! Do you have an active 4-H club where you all live? I know it’s different all over the country as to how active clubs are.

Thanks for your feedback! My son showed chickens last year at our county fair and loved it! It really is a great time for the entire family! The judge was so knowledgeable! We were all just following him around hanging on his every word! Every chicken he picked out of the cage he knew the APA standard and would critique each one. It really was impressive to watch!
That's awesome that you had a great judge! It's really unfortunate when you have a bad one; I've had a couple of those.:hmm
My 4-H showing time was definitely not the best plus I seemed to have a curse of bad luck. I'm still showing but getting into the rated stuff.

My 4-H showing time was definitely not the best plus I seemed to have a curse of bad luck. I'm still showing but getting into the rated stuff.

I'm sorry about your bad experiences. What do you show? I showed paints at breed level with our state club. Still have them but they are mostly pasture pets now. Breed shows like the futurities and world show got to be more about who you know, how big your name is, and how much money you have. That's when I stepped away. My favorites (more fun, less stress) were the local open shows. Might do those again one day.

I'm sorry about your bad experiences. What do you show? I showed paints at breed level with our state club. Still have them but they are mostly pasture pets now. Breed shows like the futurities and world show got to be more about who you know, how big your name is, and how much money you have. That's when I stepped away. My favorites (more fun, less stress) were the local open shows. Might do those again one day.
I compete under English in eventing, dressage, and some hunter jumper and flat but hunters are not my favorite. I also show in a variety of western classes occasionally, my favorite being trail. I don't show in any breed-specific futurities or world shows but I know what you mean it can easily get the same way in the per-discipline way of showing :hmm.
This is probably a silly question, but what is “the rated stuff”?
No worries! It's not a silly question, I'm glad you asked I love talking horse stuff haha.:D The "rated stuff" also goes by the title recognized shows which simply means they are recognized by an equestrian organization (USEF: United States Equestrian Federation in America, most often). Local, open shows, on the other hand, are not recognized and rated (rated by difficulty per preorganized standards) and are less serious.

Thanks for your feedback! My son showed chickens last year at our county fair and loved it! It really is a great time for the entire family! The judge was so knowledgeable! We were all just following him around hanging on his every word! Every chicken he picked out of the cage he knew the APA standard and would critique each one. It really was impressive to watch!
That might be fun for you if he gave you feedback about your Cochin girl.

Here is my Hershey. She looks like a little kiss to us!

Attachments

• 51D42D0A-3F48-4345-94E0-52CBBFFF3652.jpeg
    51D42D0A-3F48-4345-94E0-52CBBFFF3652.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom