Cockerels of Uncertain Heritage

CindyinSD

All will be well, and that will be well is well.
Aug 3, 2018
Black Hills, South Dakota, USA
I bought an incubator, so I ordered eggs on e-bay to attempt hatching. It took the post office a couple extra days to deliver them (of course). All seven (of twenty) that started developing for me ended up hatching, so overall I thought it was a good result. I was only expecting to receive twelve eggs and I didn’t really need any more chickens in any case. I’m wondering what y’all think of three little boys that came of that experiment:

0288B616-D7ED-4901-9974-88307CA7C600.jpeg

839B1F8E-9672-40DD-B699-864BFBE7A266.jpeg
Sir Puffy Face (Puff to his friends) There’s a little fringe of feathers on his legs.

5C6B47F6-8E92-4EAE-B8CF-843AF0C2C973.jpeg

CDA05695-AB1E-4319-BA7A-A46FB911A8CC.jpeg

Jack (Barred Rock?)

E4F52F66-1703-4E23-A3EE-ED0B43AB0D60.jpeg

657B822B-CBBA-47E3-81DF-8EB13F5C2EAA.jpeg

Ruffio (smallest of his fellow hatchlings)

I think its probable they're all mixes, certainly the first and third. The first could be a favrolle mix... It would explain the little muffs and the feathers on the legs.
The second could be a barred rock, but I'd wager to say he's not full blooded, even hatchery. Something about his body shape says he's not.
The last... He's a mixed up pup.

I think its probable they're all mixes, certainly the first and third. The first could be a favrolle mix... It would explain the little muffs and the feathers on the legs.
The second could be a barred rock, but I'd wager to say he's not full blooded, even hatchery. Something about his body shape says he's not.
The last... He's a mixed up pup.

Why wouldn’t the third be a Crested Cream Legbar cockerel? He has a crest, white earlobes, clean yellow legs and the typical pattern. Just asking for future situations as I would have said he’s pure CCL.

Why wouldn’t the third be a Crested Cream Legbar cockerel? He has a crest, white earlobes, clean yellow legs and the typical pattern. Just asking for future situations as I would have said he’s pure CCL.
he could be a mix... but I don't believe he's full either. His color is off for a pure CCL cockerel. I guess he could also be poorly bred. From google.
Capture.JPG

I think his coloring needs more time. Also CL range from gold to silver
View attachment 1864606

This is what I was thinking. Males can range from having no leakage, to some, to the roo @Frazzemrat1 posted. So I would say he’s pure CCL. Not sure I would say poorly bred as he is how a lot of British CCL’s look. But I’m not an expert on breeds or standards so it’s all just my opinion.

Thanks, guys. :) Really interesting. I assumed they were all probably mixes including the Barred Rock(ish) guy. I was just wondering about possible parentage. It’s fascinating, how the different traits weave in and out through the offspring. Great to hear y’all’s analysis. :frow

Back
Top Bottom