Coconut water for chicks

I wouldn't think there would be a problem with coconut water at all. It has quite an electrolyte profile, and has more potassium than a banana. Have you dipped the chick's beak in the water to show it? And if it hatched yesterday, it is still relying on its yolk for moisture and nutrients.

I'm bumping this up!
I'm wondering what you all think about giving coconut water instead of sugar water if a chick appears weak upon arrival. Ours are coming tomorrow, after a slightly longer journey than we planned for, and I want to be prepared. I have two young coconuts in the fridge, and if the electrolytes would help them recover, I'll give them the coconut water (and also show them where the fresh water is).

I've also heard it recommended to give them water only for 2-4 hours before solid food. Does that sound right?

I have heard 1 hour and then food, and that's what I have done for our two sets and will do for the third set. I think the coconut water would be good, it certainly wouldn't do any harm I don't think. It's just coconut. Worth a try anyways. I am going to try that when I get my next set next week and let you know how it goes.

I don't want to hijack the thread but while we are on the topic of water is it ok for me to put both nutri-drench and ACV in their water or just one or the other. I've read the ACV helps to prevent pasty butt and that is was it in the water now, but I'm getting ready to have to fill the water and I dont know if i should switch to nutri-drench or if I can mix? I'm using a mason jar on a red water base so I would be using a fourth of the amount recommended for a gallon of water.

I don't want to hijack the thread but while we are on the topic of water is it ok for me to put both nutri-drench and ACV in their water or just one or the other. I've read the ACV helps to prevent pasty butt and that is was it in the water now, but I'm getting ready to have to fill the water and I dont know if i should switch to nutri-drench or if I can mix? I'm using a mason jar on a red water base so I would be using a fourth of the amount recommended for a gallon of water.
That's overkill, use one or the other.
Best,
Karen

Chicks arriving today! How long should I make the coconut water available to them for? I've got a whole coconut's worth, and I was thinking of putting it in one of their two water containers and making it available until they drink it all up.

The coconut water is a huge hit. They've got the coconut and fresh, and all four girls have spent their first 27 minutes in the brooder within 12 inches of the coconut water, and keep returning to the waterer to suck more down.

Back
Top Bottom