Coconut?

Kaya1

Songster
Jul 10, 2017
Penryn, CA
Has anyone given their birds a coconut to pick at? I was thinking I'd cut a few in half to hang in their cages, but I want to make sure they can eat them and not get sick.

It's fine for chickens, and I assume anything that's fine for chickens should be fine for quail. They'll probably like it.
Have you ever cut coconuts in half, though? They're hard to cut.

Opening coconut is easy. Just use anything hard, like a metal rod or back of a heavy knife and strike it along the centerline, rotating it as you go. It will split down the middle no problem. You can even just bang it on the concrete.

I would use a drill to get the water out for them. It is super healthy. Coconut is a 'superfood'. Quail and quail eggs are a superfood too. What an awesome combination. I would check out YouTube, search 'opening coconut'.

I would think that using 'young coconut water' would be an excellent choice for hydrating new born chicks.

Thanks guys, and I work with wood, so I have saws

Bad idea!! Coconuts will cause some crazy rust on anything metal. Even messed up my stainless steel Japanese saw blade with some type of black rust. I almost seized my chuck on my new fancy drill. Took forever to get the bit out of the chuck.

I use a small cleaver to open them, I go around the part I want to remove, slamming the blade in as far as I can generally get it without struggling or risking myself then then once I got a line around the nut( or around the top if I am getting the water) I then drive the corner of the cleaver deep into the incision you already made hopefully into the flesh.

At this point all you have to do is use leverage by pressing/wiggling up and down on the horizontal cut pulling the halves apart braking neatly at the seam you made.

Back
Top Bottom