Collapsed egg hanging out of vent

Pics
@BigBlueHen53
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock
View attachment 3695721
My kids wanted to express their gratitude for your help and made a sign!!
Update:
She seems back to her plucky little self. I collected and dropped off a sample for a fecal float. I'm hoping to get results by Sunday and will let you know what they say. I have noticed a lot of loose poops in the flock.
I'm glad Flow FLO is doing much better!

What a sweet photo!

edited to correct spell check, it keeps wanting to spell Flo, Flow!!😜

Last edited:
Poop report:
Looks to me like there were no parasites that they found. I'm wondering why they are having loose stools and what I can do to help?
Probiotics? Which do you recommend?
Thanks.

Attachments

• fecal float.pdf
    141.6 KB · Views: 4
Good on the poop test.

Loose stools can reflect a lot of excess water in the diet. Fresh veggies and fruits, weather triggering more water intake, fermented feed that is on the soupy side. Yes, probiotics can help. Try it.

I was considering ordering Probios. I'm having trouble figuring out how to dose it. It seems there are a lot of different opinions about how long to give it and whether to put it in food or water.

I was also considering giving them greek yogurt/buttermilk until the Probios arrives.

I use Primal Defense, loose powder or powder in capsules available on amazon. I give it to rabbits, chickens, dogs cats and me as needed. powder stirred into yogurt or something smooshy goes well

I just recieved the message below from the lab. I will let you know what the "new" test says. Not sure what a fecal McMaster means. Should I expect the new report to come out differently?

We realize that the Antech report we sent to you said "Fecal McMaster", though you requested a Fecal Float. Antech has been contacted on this issue and they we will be running a fecal float at no additional cost. When this testing is complete, we will send you another report. We apologize for any inconvenience and please don't hesitate to contact our lab if you need anything!

Thank you!

Thank you for using the services of Frederick Animal Health Laboratory (FAHL). We would like to receive feedback from you regarding the quality of service our laboratory provides to you.

Please click here to complete our FAHL survey:

2023 FAHL Customer Satisfaction Survey

L_MDA_Button_50Yrswheat.jpg
Maryland Department of Agriculture
Frederick Animal Health Laboratory
1840 Rosemont Ave
Frederick, MD 21702
[email protected]
(301) 600-1548 (O)
(301) 600-6111 (F)
Website | Facebook | Twitter
Click here to complete a three question customer experience survey.

Visit Our Website at: www.mda.maryland.gov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN3dEV5ddJYbGQu64h79tgg

Click here to complete a three question customer experience survey.

You need to get Calcium Citrate for humans with Vit. D. You'll need to hold her and use one hand to pull down gently on her wattles which will cause her to open her beak. Then with your other hand, pop the calcium into her beak and let her close her beak. She will swallow it right down. Do not worry that it is too large or that she will choke, believe me she can swallow a whole mouse or a frog with no problem. Good luck!
May I ask what strength? What brand and amount do you provide yours?

May I ask what strength? What brand and amount do you provide yours?
View attachment 3698158

These are "petites," two caplets contain 400 mg of calcium citrate, which is "highly soluble, easily absorbed." These are capsule shaped and easily swallowed; remember though that a chicken can easily swallow a whole mouse or frog, so don't be afraid to stuff a pill in your chicken's beak; there is no danger of her choking on it. I think I would ask @azygous or @Wyorp Rock exactly how much to give an eggbound hen to help her expel an egg.

Edit: Looks like my pic did not post. I use Citracal +D3, Petites, Calcium Citrate. Available at Walmart, Walgreens I think, places like that.

Can anyone explain what the difference between fecal McMaster and Fecal Float? I'm just wondering if I may get a different result and need to treat for worms.

McMaster tests are used more for large animals that have more complex digestive systems than chickens and dogs and cats. So more accuracy in the parasite egg count is desirable. The simple fecal float tests most vets provide are plenty accurate for small animals with simple digestive systems (one stomach instead of several). If worms are present, either test will tell if they are there and if the load is light or heavy.

Which test did you get?

Back
Top Bottom