Collapsible Coop

chickentrunks

Songster
Mar 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Hello all,

I'm in the process of building my first coop. I've had waaaaay too much time to think about it!
My main areas of concern are cleanliness related - I don't want bugs/mites/lice to be able to get much of a foothold if possible. I'm starting out with 12 Dark Cornish children, looks like 9 hens and 3 roos. Haven't thought too much about nest boxes, might just have one or two in the coop and the majority of them out in the run. In any case, since I'm so paranoid about cleanliness, I decided to make the coop so that it's able to be folded out flat and pressure washed, doused in bleach and boiling water, whatever cleaning method is necessary. No nook or cranny will be unexposed when the coop is folded flat. That being said, some design decisions had to be made.

My Dad has built several of the various homes we've lived in, and so I took a leaf from his book and followed his sandwich method of door building, making each panel of the coop with either 2x2s or 2x4s and EPS (styrofoam sheet) sandwiched between plywood and/or siding, which is also plywood but is a little different. A system of hinges and turn-latch hinges will join the walls, and the roof will slide into the closed walls from the top using a system of an interior sleeve made of 2x6s held in place with eight lag bolts that penetrate walls and roof perpendicularly. The flooring will be vinyl, and any openings/cracks/crannies in the wood will be sealed with caulk or bondo and coated with generous layers of Kilz and Valspar Stormcoat. DH is making the fence for the run, and a very secure enclosure it is!

The actual layout of the coop is simple: it's 4'x8', plywood-sized, 4' tall on one side and 3' tall on the other. I've purchased a mobile home bathroom window that's 8"x36" that will be laid into the tallest long wall, and the door to the coop takes up a third of a short wall - if this isn't enough ventilation, holes can easily be put in the walls and additional windows installed. I have a feeling this isn't enough ventilation - but my Dad says it is. We'll see. I'm planning to keep alfalfa or pine chips on the floor and clean them as necessary - I keep a close eye on my flock so at minimum they will get completely changed weekly, but I will change the 'bedding' more often if necessary. Roosts will be modular and removable.

Any input is welcome -I'm already building, but that doesn't mean new innovation can't be incorporated!

P.S. I'm having trouble ordering the photos at the end, but I hope they make sense. IMG_20190503_132745_01.jpg IMG_20190514_145930_01.jpg IMG_20190514_145920_01.jpg IMG_20190516_122751_01.jpg IMG_20190516_091226_01.jpg IMG_20190511_152941_01.jpg IMG_20190516_111840_01.jpg IMG_20190503_134510_01.jpg

I'm sure it will come out well.
It does sound like you will need more ventilation.
This is how I got lots of ventilation in my new coop:
ready for chickens.jpg

The soffit area between the rafters is left open and secured with 1/2" hardware cloth. There is also a ridge vent and permanently opened gable vents secured with 1/2" HC.
Honestly, it is totally unnecessary to clean to that level. It actually benefits the birds to not live in an attempted sterile environment. The more space they have, the better it is for cleanliness and health.
If you want an easy to clean coop, poop boards will be your best friend.
The way I managed my old coop was to have a fully secured run attached to the coop. I never closed the pop door. The chickens would be out in the run when I got there in the morning. So the majority of the poop in the coop was deposited at night.
The new coop has poop boards. I have 10 hens and 1 rooster and I fill a 40# kitty litter bucket with poop weely!! The shavings on the floor of the coop are very clean. I don't anticipate needing to clean that out but once a year.
I've never had lice or mites.
BTW, you should write an article on your coop build and submit it to the coop building contest here.

I'm sure it will come out well.
It does sound like you will need more ventilation.
This is how I got lots of ventilation in my new coop:
View attachment 1778912
The soffit area between the rafters is left open and secured with 1/2" hardware cloth. There is also a ridge vent and permanently opened gable vents secured with 1/2" HC.
Honestly, it is totally unnecessary to clean to that level. It actually benefits the birds to not live in an attempted sterile environment. The more space they have, the better it is for cleanliness and health.
If you want an easy to clean coop, poop boards will be your best friend.
The way I managed my old coop was to have a fully secured run attached to the coop. I never closed the pop door. The chickens would be out in the run when I got there in the morning. So the majority of the poop in the coop was deposited at night.
The new coop has poop boards. I have 10 hens and 1 rooster and I fill a 40# kitty litter bucket with poop weely!! The shavings on the floor of the coop are very clean. I don't anticipate needing to clean that out but once a year.
I've never had lice or mites.
BTW, you should write an article on your coop build and submit it to the coop building contest here.
Thank you for your input. I definitely will try to incorporate the poop boards. Let's see what kind of modular roost/poo board accessory I come up with!
Their secured run is big, with potential to make it even bigger, so we are on the same page there. I'm actually about to go to Lowe's - I'll pick up a small window there and put it in the back small wall - since nothing is framed yet, only cut, I have plenty of opportunity for modification. Also, thank you for reminding me that I NEED HARDWARE CLOTH haha :)

Oh! I do plan to make an article, just need to finish the coop first haha!

Thank you for your input. I definitely will try to incorporate the poop boards. Let's see what kind of modular roost/poo board accessory I come up with!
Their secured run is big, with potential to make it even bigger, so we are on the same page there. I'm actually about to go to Lowe's - I'll pick up a small window there and put it in the back small wall - since nothing is framed yet, only cut, I have plenty of opportunity for modification. Also, thank you for reminding me that I NEED HARDWARE CLOTH haha :)

Just FYI, Amazon has the best price on hardware cloth. I just bought 3 rolls of 48"x50' 1/2", 19 gauge galvanized HC for $68.99 a roll. Delivered 2 days after I bought them, no tax, no shipping fees.

Also, on the nest boxes, you'll only need 2 with 9 pullets.
And you are more than likely going to need to get rid of 2 of the cockerels and keep just one.
I tried keeping 2 cockerels with 9 pullets. The boys got along well enough. The girls were stressed terribly because the boys were tag teaming them and ripping feathers out of their heads and necks while the girls screamed and tried to get away.

Also, on the nest boxes, you'll only need 2 with 9 pullets.
And you are more than likely going to need to get rid of 2 of the cockerels and keep just one.
I tried keeping 2 cockerels with 9 pullets. The boys got along well enough. The girls were stressed terribly because the boys were tag teaming them and ripping feathers out of their heads and necks while the girls screamed and tried to get away.
That's the plan - the girls are my pets but I already know who the dominant rooster is (Speckles). The others will have to be Thai barbecue when they get old enough to cause a stir.

Unless those panels are completely sealed, pests could get in anyway and pressure washing them could be disastrous. Water and chicken coops don't mix, IMO.

Still, I love the innovation, and look forward to seeing it's progression and operation.

Yes, wait until it's all built (just take lots of pics along the way) and in use for a good 6 months to avoid having to update an article.

Oh, and.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-5-17_9-42-19.png

I'll do that when i get to a computer. In the meantime, I'm in Albuquerque.

The panels will be completely sealed - just like a door. Copious amounts of titebond, caulk, and paint should do it. Each layer of the sandwich has titebond in it, as do all of the joints in the framing. Titebond is also waterproof once it's cured so that's a benefit as well. I'm not too worried about water + coop. I also know someone who stuccoed and painted their coop inside, then did the floor with tile. Worked great for cleaning except now they have to use those EVA foam puzzle mats so their birds have a soft landing - defeats the purpose of the tile!

Back
Top Bottom