Colloncas, Huastecs, & Quechuas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that is easy to fix. Just takes having the costs of about 5 to 10 DNA tests done on a sample population of the birds we have here. Then comparing them to DNA of birds that are from South America. Dr. Phil Sponnenberg who works with The Livestock Conservancy (formerly ALBC) would be who could tell you what you need to collect and who it needs to be sent to. I believe that there is South American chicken DNA already collected and on record. I it was done recently when they were using chicken genetics to prove human migration from Southeast Asia to South America. Dr. Sponnenberg would most probably know of the study and who/how to get the gene profiles that can be used to compare to the birds here in the U.S.

Now MA Mama, just for my clarification, which flock of birds balances on the word of one man?

I think this is a great idea. We could base this on facts instead of speculation.

For sure any of the Olmec varieties... find something written about them by anyone but Kermit. Or who got their info from Kermit.

That was what I was guessing. That is one of the lovely things about our level of science now. DNA doesn't make a mistake or lie. It is what it is.

Now I am very new to exploring the South Am breeds. I have read Kermit's (Resolution) thread. It is one persons view of South America. I was a propaganda analyst for the Army. There are some parts of his thread which if applying my skills of determining the validity of the information need some other sources to confirm them. Not that they are grossly wrong just that they give me a feeling of someone over summarizing a subject and leaving out key details. I have read another article published (a science site that I will have to re-look up) after his thread was written that confirms his information on the migration of people and chickens in the South Pacific. It added the information that a virus is what enabled the Bekisar roos to cross with the Bantam Basket hens and gave the eggs the blue color. This article got the chickens to South America but didn't seem to study what happened to them in the last 150 years. They were focused on using the chickens to track the human migrations from Southeast Asia across the South Pacific to South America.

Could be that another study has picked that up from there but it is in one of these pay-for-view sites. I have been too broke these past 10 years to indulge in paying for science studies. Not that they don't deserve to be funded. I just haven't had the spare cash to indulge myself. I have had to rely on information that was splashy enough to make it to a free journal site. And what you usually get there is a simplified summary. If you are doing deep research for the purpose of forming new and cutting edge theories you need the full articles with all the details.

Last edited:
That was what I was guessing. That is one of the lovely things about our level of science now. DNA doesn't make a mistake or lie. It is what it is.

Now I am very new to exploring the South Am breeds. I have read Kermit's (Resolution) thread. It is one persons view of South America. I was a propaganda analyst for the Army. There are some parts of his thread which if applying my skills of determining the validity of the information need some other sources to confirm them. Not that they are grossly wrong just that they give me a feeling of someone over summarizing a subject and leaving out key details. I have read another article published (a science site that I will have to re-look up) after his thread was written that confirms his information on the migration of people and chickens in the South Pacific. It added the information that a virus is what enabled the Bekisar roos to cross with the Bantam Basket hens and gave the eggs the blue color. This article got the chickens to South America but didn't seem to study what happened to them in the last 150 years. They were focused on using the chickens to track the human migrations from Southeast Asia across the South Pacific to South America.

Could be that another study has picked that up from there but it is in one of these pay-for-view sites. I have been too broke these past 10 years to indulge in paying for science studies. Not that they don't deserve to be funded. I just haven't had the spare cash to indulge myself. I have had to rely on information that was splashy enough to make it to a free journal site. And what you usually get there is a simplified summary. If you are doing deep research for the purpose of forming new and cutting edge theories you need the full articles with all the details.
On some days I'm lucky enough to have time to indulge in digging the digital depths. Here's the first break I got... It's in English and seems pretty same old, same old about Araucanas UNTIL PAGE 5. Then it's like holey bananas, what?? Slow Food International underwriting a DVD; thirteen investigators in Araucania and Bio Bio. http://www.scribd.com/doc/222684087...ucana-Past-and-Present-Aviculture-Europe-2009

I had to do screen captures:

I can't even begin to say how much I love this picture. Here's this woman in what my grandmother would have called her "Sunday best" and she is absolutely beaming. The chicken looked pretty different from what I would have expected but none the less the whole scene is a far cry from the gold sex-link monocultures I was seeing in the open markets. BTW Flickr is an amazing resource - people often take pictures to show some tourist-y scene and never realize what they've actually documented.

How does that prove that the people on this forum aren't accurate in their portrayal of their birds? It's good info but not definitive.

Also- I can't find the Resolution thread you folks are referencing. Does someone have the thread address saved?

Last edited:
Several years ago I scoured flickr for chicken pix - limiting my search using map filters. You can scroll through some of them if you're like
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soapy/favorites

Then I found this pix of an Aymara Indian sacrificing a dark skinned bird . The Aymara are in Peru. http://www.culturalsurvival.org/pub...indians-adaptation-and-survival-southern-peru Sounds (& looks) like they take their birds pretty seriously.

original photo link didn't work with byc software so here it is in case you want to see more of this man and this ritual... I get the idea it was pretty unusual for an outsider to even get to see this let alone take pictures.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewhowe/4607640822/in/faves-soapy/

Last edited:
Those are some interesting links. Kind of think evidence, though, don't you think? I don't think you've supported your idea that the US breeders are deceitful or ignorant about the breeds, but it is interesting.

Why is anyone even saying if they are pure or from SA or not if you do not believe they are do not waste your time on them if you like them raise them. They are chickens I do not think it is a world changing answer I like them and I think Yashar is honest in what he says I will raise them and buy them because I like them.

How does that prove that the people on this forum aren't accurate in their portrayal of their birds? It's good info but not definitive.

Also- I can't find the Resolution thread you folks are referencing. Does someone have the thread address saved?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/402512/quechua-tojuda-ameraucana-easter-eggers-in-vino-veritas

It is a nice read. With some updated research he could turn it into a really good book. My favorite part of his thread is the name he likes for Easter Eggers. These are the ones that have other blood in them not the non-standard Ameraucanas. He names them North American Improved Quechua. And I like that because even though a lot of other breeds of chickens have been added you can look at one of them and still see the Quechua. They are becoming a landrace breed. And I personally think that they deserve more than the appellation of mutt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom