Color changing chicks?

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
Hi guys,

I'm stumped... I hatched out a bunch of peachicks this year. Some were eggs from my group, some were from my best friend. She has a Silver Pied cock and an India Blue cock with white flight feathers, both from me so we both have pretty much the same genetics there. Her hens all came from SDPeafowl, there is an India Blue, a silver Pied, and a Cameo. My group has an India Blue Black Shoulder Dark Pied (with a white eye gene) and a 2 year old white, my hens are a Silver Pied, a midnight Black Shoulder, and a Cameo.

After the first 2 hatches, I commented to my friend that we are going to be over run with white peas. A lot of the chicks were snow white, a few had light peach coloring on the wings so I figured those would be black shoulder, and there are a lot of pied chicks. Now what has me baffled... the majority of the white chicks aren't white any more. Some are tan and some look like they're turning gray. Is it normal for a snow white chick to turn another color? I think I have 2 that stayed white.

Thoughts?

I'll try to get some pictures soon... if they're Cameo, wouldn't that mean that my big guy is split Cameo?

I 'think' that if they are Cameo cocks that means your cock is split to Cameo.
Looking at Leggs site, Cameo is sex linked. If I'm reading it right, crossing a Cameo cock to an IB hen produces Cameo hens and IB cocks split to cameo. Crossing an IB cock to a Cameo hen produces all IB, only the cocks split to Cameo. IB split Cameo crossed with a Cameo hen produces 50% each color both sexes with the IB cocks being split Cameo. With Peach and Purple also being sex linked, I wonder what happens if the cock is split purple and crossed with a Cameo? I had a chick hatch out a few years ago that we were trying to figure out the color. Unfortunately, she frost bit her feet really badly and I ended up losing her. I'm guessing that my big guy must have something in his background besides IB, wish I knew what!

Back
Top Bottom