Color genetics thread.

caf.gif

Sure! And I will not be getting the books too soon anyway, so there is plenty of time for others to chime in. Unfortunately my library is closed until January... I was so disappointed!

i searched some books but did not know that they are easy to understand or not for some who doe snot have any idea of genetics.

Yeah, I feel like many of the best books are really geared toward someone who's got some experience with genetics under their belts. I understand a little bit, but not much. It just finally clicked how they can create a sex-link, and I recently came to understand a TINY bit about egg color, but beyond that, I really don't know anything beyond what I learned in my high school biology course. And that wasn't specific to chickens, it was just the foundational concepts of genetics in general.

My first question is how could one make a larger sized Nankin?
We'll I'm not sure but this is what I would do. First method: hatch out as many nankins as possible, and pick out the bigger ones. Hatch out a lot from these bigger ones and repeat till you get as close to the size you want as possible. Second method: breed a similar breed to the nankins that are bigger not only bantams you could use a standard size. But remember to breed as close to the standard as possible, just making them bigger as you go by culling. Everyone correct if I am wrong.

Cool thought. I bet it would work, too, but it could take a lot of time before it's noticeably different to anybody else. But then again, if you look at bred-to-standard Orpingtons, they are HUGE!! Hatchery Orpingtons are large birds, but not like the breeder birds. So you probably could make the bird bigger and still justifiably call it the same breed.

Back
Top Bottom