Color genetics thread.

I got some hatching eggs from a friend and they hatched today. Her rooster is a WC Black Polish. Her hens are WC black and WC blue. This chick (on the left) does not look like a typical WC Black to me. It even has a light color stripe in the middle of the black patch. My friend said she's never hatched one with so little black on it. What do you think about it's coloring?
ps... ignore the olive/easter egger chick on the right. That one hatched from my own flock.

Last edited:
I got some hatching eggs from a friend and they hatched today. Her rooster is a WC Black Polish. Her hens are WC black and WC blue. This chick does not look like a typical WC Black to me. It even has a light color stripe in the middle of the black patch. My friend said she's never hatched one with so little black on it. What do you think about it's coloring? ps... ignore the olive/easter egger chick. That one hatched from my own flock.
If you're talking about the whitish colored chick on the left. If it's Polish then it's crossed with something else. Could be something in the background though I guess.

Quote:
Thank you for answering.
Yes, I meant the whiter chick on the left. I edited my original post to clarify.
When you say 'mixed', do you mean mixed variety, or mixed breed? My friend got a small gold Polish flock from me recently, but they were quarantined for 30 days then went straight to their own breeding pen. No contact with her blacks or blues. When you say "could be something in the background" is there something in particular you have in mind? another variety of Polish or a recessive gene that's been carried for several generations? Sorry about all the 'either/or' questions. I'm super curious about this one's markings.

I got some hatching eggs from a friend and they hatched today. Her rooster is a WC Black Polish. Her hens are WC black and WC blue. This chick (on the left) does not look like a typical WC Black to me. It even has a light color stripe in the middle of the black patch. My friend said she's never hatched one with so little black on it. What do you think about it's coloring?
ps... ignore the olive/easter egger chick on the right. That one hatched from my own flock.

These are the parents of the chick in question. Two wc blues and two wc blacks also hatched from these birds. .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a picture from this morning. Anyone else have any ideas? These Polish are kept in their own pen, so the chick is not mixed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Here is a picture from this morning. Anyone else have any ideas? These Polish are kept in their own pen, so the chick is not mixed.
My guess is something recessive in the line. The parent stock all appears to be hatchery so it's not unusual to see unwanted recessives pop up.

IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3521.JPG
IMG_3522.JPG
Do you guys still think this guy isn't barred?

I think his mom is barred and his dad is a buff brahma

Back
Top Bottom