Color Genetics: Welsummer/ Easter Eggers

everythingjane

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
Northern Indiana
I'm curious about doing a cross for olive eggers...

With a Welsummer rooster, what colors of Easter Egger hens would yield the most colorful offspring?

I'm mainly thinking/wanting colors other than the regular Welsummer browns.

What could I expect from blue EE hens? I know how blue/black work together- but I don't know brown interacts..

Thanks!

If you are talking about an Easter Egger, then you are basically talking about a breed that comes in almost every color. I have just a few of your typical EE's and bred them a couple months ago to see what we ended up with. Our roo seems almost a dark blue with lots of red and yellow hackle feathers while our hens are red headed - your typical partridge look.
Here is a pic...
12214_ee_trio.jpg

We ended up with so many different colors it wasn't funny. I kept a trio and sold off the rest. One pullet we kept is actually extremely light colored. From what I can see almost a golden duckwing? And the roo I kept is a lighter shade of Daddy. So as you can tell, the EE is kind of like a wild card. At least from my one and only breeding of them. Now I plan on adding in a Marans/EE cross to make even prettier colors. Could possibly end up with olive eggers there also.

I'm curious about this, because we got 3 chicks out of the EE bin at the feed store, and were home for an hour before we noticed the one light one we chose has no muffs at all- so not having had a chipmunk-looking chick before, I had to look at lots of chick-pics to figure what it may be.
barnie.gif

We settled on Welsummer.

It occurred to me then that if Estes breeds their EEs for color, could we have an olive egger? Ask me in 6 months, but I'd be delighted if it were so!!!
wee.gif

I bought two Easter Egger chicks last spring that looked like chipmunks. One feathered out with lots of white (with grey/brown) and has muffs; the other feathered out with a lot of red/buff and doesn't have muffs. They both lay green eggs.

Last edited:
I'm curious about this, because we got 3 chicks out of the EE bin at the feed store, and were home for an hour before we noticed the one light one we chose has no muffs at all- so not having had a chipmunk-looking chick before, I had to look at lots of chick-pics to figure what it may be.
barnie.gif

We settled on Welsummer.

It occurred to me then that if Estes breeds their EEs for color, could we have an olive egger? Ask me in 6 months, but I'd be delighted if it were so!!!
wee.gif
I know this is ancient...but if you see this, was yours an Olive egger? I'm in the exact same situation right now lol!

Back
Top Bottom