Colorado

Hey everyone, I am looking to rehome two of my 2y/o laying hens, Naruto (Delaware) and Noodles (black sex link). They are picking all of the feathers of all my docile chickens. I want them to go to a good home.
They are so they need to go together. They are tame, especially Noodle who is super docile. I didn't want it to come to this, but they have been going after two of the yearlings and took off part of the cochins comb.

Would do good in a large standard flock.
View attachment 3454691View attachment 3454692
Mine love Sardines and just picked some up at Safeway. 5 cans for $5.

Howdy Colorado thread! I’m in Lakewood. Curious to get some input on my new flock! Here are the breeds I’ve selected for egg production, egg color, personality and Colorado weather hardy birds:

Barred Plymouth Rock (1)
Black Ameraucana (1) - black chickens warn off hawks because they look like ravens I’ve been told!
Green Queen Easter Egger (3)
Welsummer Bantam (1)
Speckled Sussex (1)
Blue Splash Ameraucana (1)
(2) blue ducklings & (2) runners ducklings

I AM so stoked! first time raising ducklings, second time raising chicks. Originally wanted to raise them together in same tub though decided to raise them separately with many playtime hours together for they will all live *fingers crossed* harmoniously in the same run and shed I am building. It’s an 8ftx8ft coop with 24 sq.ft. - that’s if I’m doing the chicken/duck math correctly available and a larger run I’ll have to get measurements on once completed. They’ll have free range anytime access to run predator proof. Any advice for first ptime duck raiser? Got the Brewer’s Yeast ready for the ducklings and all the supplies minus Wardles was out of their chick/duckling starter feed. I’ll post a series of photos of the shed build once complete. I was going to order on my pet chicken for the birds to ensure breed female, expensive though heard great things. Totally open to local breeders if any of you know where I can source these breeds. Willing to be flexible on the chicken breeds. Thinking to trying to get them delivered end of February/sometime in March to time with warming up weather. Any suggestions on best dates to time their growth to getting outside in warm temperatures? I know Colorado weather is unpredictable though curious to hear this groups thoughts on the matter. Going to build a ramp with rocks for the ducks with a plug to empty out their pool and their pool will have rocks on the bottom to help them climb in and out easily. Going to build those cool pvc gravity waterers and feeders for them as well so each bird has a feeding hole to limit squabbles. Rain capture system for the gravity waterers With option to fill up with hose. Rabbits will live on top with poop sliding outside per not to soil on top of birds while resting in coop. shed will have plenty of ventilation and a 30+year old grape vine will trellis on top of the run for extra shade In the heat and provide some coverage during the winter. Anything I missed? 🤣

heres a photo of the supplies I’ve gathered for copying the blue shed rabbit shed and enclosing the bottom for a duck chicken run with a back side and run going between the house and fence line kind of see in the photo. I’m using Adobe pallet cob style with pine timbers for support beams. Got plenty of extras if anyone is interested in a few logs!

Attachments

• 3A3EFF53-E3E1-4A92-978E-D691BDECBA34.jpeg
    3A3EFF53-E3E1-4A92-978E-D691BDECBA34.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 3D8FE84A-AB09-438D-B973-589FEA20EEB6.jpeg
    3D8FE84A-AB09-438D-B973-589FEA20EEB6.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 4
  • FC2843E1-B87B-4A08-B909-BF7BE21FD694.jpeg
    FC2843E1-B87B-4A08-B909-BF7BE21FD694.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 6F3AD781-B0BD-4B4A-B5DE-580DF78F20BB.jpeg
    6F3AD781-B0BD-4B4A-B5DE-580DF78F20BB.jpeg
    702 KB · Views: 4
Howdy Colorado thread! I’m in Lakewood. Curious to get some input on my new flock! Here are the breeds I’ve selected for egg production, egg color, personality and Colorado weather hardy birds:

Barred Plymouth Rock (1)
Black Ameraucana (1) - black chickens warn off hawks because they look like ravens I’ve been told!
Green Queen Easter Egger (3)
Welsummer Bantam (1)
Speckled Sussex (1)
Blue Splash Ameraucana (1)
(2) blue ducklings & (2) runners ducklings

I AM so stoked! first time raising ducklings, second time raising chicks. Originally wanted to raise them together in same tub though decided to raise them separately with many playtime hours together for they will all live *fingers crossed* harmoniously in the same run and shed I am building. It’s an 8ftx8ft coop with 24 sq.ft. - that’s if I’m doing the chicken/duck math correctly available and a larger run I’ll have to get measurements on once completed. They’ll have free range anytime access to run predator proof. Any advice for first ptime duck raiser? Got the Brewer’s Yeast ready for the ducklings and all the supplies minus Wardles was out of their chick/duckling starter feed. I’ll post a series of photos of the shed build once complete. I was going to order on my pet chicken for the birds to ensure breed female, expensive though heard great things. Totally open to local breeders if any of you know where I can source these breeds. Willing to be flexible on the chicken breeds. Thinking to trying to get them delivered end of February/sometime in March to time with warming up weather. Any suggestions on best dates to time their growth to getting outside in warm temperatures? I know Colorado weather is unpredictable though curious to hear this groups thoughts on the matter. Going to build a ramp with rocks for the ducks with a plug to empty out their pool and their pool will have rocks on the bottom to help them climb in and out easily. Going to build those cool pvc gravity waterers and feeders for them as well so each bird has a feeding hole to limit squabbles. Rain capture system for the gravity waterers With option to fill up with hose. Rabbits will live on top with poop sliding outside per not to soil on top of birds while resting in coop. shed will have plenty of ventilation and a 30+year old grape vine will trellis on top of the run for extra shade In the heat and provide some coverage during the winter. Anything I missed? 🤣

heres a photo of the supplies I’ve gathered for copying the blue shed rabbit shed and enclosing the bottom for a duck chicken run with a back side and run going between the house and fence line kind of see in the photo. I’m using Adobe pallet cob style with pine timbers for support beams. Got plenty of extras if anyone is interested in a few logs!
That's an interesting set-up. I would make sure you have something waterproof on the floor and going partially up the side to protect the wood from duck mess. Even if you don't have water in the coop, they will introduce a lot of moisture to the coop when they go in after bathing and from their poop (which is much wetter than chicken poop). Plus it will be easier for clean-up long term. I'd also suggest you think about what you'll put on top of the rabbit cages, because the chickens will 100% poop all over them.

Size wise, you would be okay with that number of birds but it doesn't leave you much wiggle room. I personally wouldn't add any more than that so no new birds in the future unless some pass or are culled. Something to keep in mind is that the 4 sq ft per bird is kind of a general number and I would treat it as a minimum requirement. You want to make sure everyone has lots of space to get away during those nasty winter days.

I would not get just one bantam size chicken. I have a mixed flock of ducks, large fowl chickens and bantam chickens. The bantam are fine with the others, but they don't hang out with the other chickens much. I think a single bantam might be a bit lonely without another friend her own size. It might be different if they're all raised together, but I would still get at least two.

I raise all chicks/ducklings in the coop, either with a broody hen or with a heat plate. If you don't have your brooding equipment yet, I highly recommend looking into heating plates instead of heat bulbs. I've found that they feather out much faster with the plates becuase they aren't constantly under heat. When I first started, I did have brooders in the house, but I couldn't take the mess anymore. Ducklings in a brooder can smell terrible. My attempts to capture they're water mess has evolved over the years, but nothing I've done has been able to contain the mess completely. Puppy pads worked pretty well when I used plastic totes. More expensive than pine shavings but much easier to clean up.

As far as timing, if you have electric in your coop you could move them out whenever you want. Just block them off in a smaller corner to start so they can't wander too far from the heat source. If you use heat bulbs, be extremely careful as they are a fire danger. If no electric, you can start taking them out to the coop for day trips on nicer days. Being acclimated properly is key.

That's an interesting set-up. I would make sure you have something waterproof on the floor and going partially up the side to protect the wood from duck mess. Even if you don't have water in the coop, they will introduce a lot of moisture to the coop when they go in after bathing and from their poop (which is much wetter than chicken poop). Plus it will be easier for clean-up long term. I'd also suggest you think about what you'll put on top of the rabbit cages, because the chickens will 100% poop all over them.

Size wise, you would be okay with that number of birds but it doesn't leave you much wiggle room. I personally wouldn't add any more than that so no new birds in the future unless some pass or are culled. Something to keep in mind is that the 4 sq ft per bird is kind of a general number and I would treat it as a minimum requirement. You want to make sure everyone has lots of space to get away during those nasty winter days.

I would not get just one bantam size chicken. I have a mixed flock of ducks, large fowl chickens and bantam chickens. The bantam are fine with the others, but they don't hang out with the other chickens much. I think a single bantam might be a bit lonely without another friend her own size. It might be different if they're all raised together, but I would still get at least two.

I raise all chicks/ducklings in the coop, either with a broody hen or with a heat plate. If you don't have your brooding equipment yet, I highly recommend looking into heating plates instead of heat bulbs. I've found that they feather out much faster with the plates becuase they aren't constantly under heat. When I first started, I did have brooders in the house, but I couldn't take the mess anymore. Ducklings in a brooder can smell terrible. My attempts to capture they're water mess has evolved over the years, but nothing I've done has been able to contain the mess completely. Puppy pads worked pretty well when I used plastic totes. More expensive than pine shavings but much easier to clean up.

As far as timing, if you have electric in your coop you could move them out whenever you want. Just block them off in a smaller corner to start so they can't wander too far from the heat source. If you use heat bulbs, be extremely careful as they are a fire danger. If no electric, you can start taking them out to the coop for day trips on nicer days. Being acclimated properly is key.
Great feedback and insight, thank you for taking the time to read and respond! Good point on the added moisture the ducks will add into the coop… I plan to Adobe cob the sides and bottom which will essentially be like “earth cement” plus adding a deep litter method I found very useful and clean for the first chickens I raised. I clean their coop daily as it’s meditative for me. This also will allow using a hose to hose down and clean the interior when needed.

I didn’t realize that about the bantams thank you for sharing your experience on those birds.

The bottom half of where the rabbit cage will hang above it s where I plan to fence in the coop with a pull down hatch for easy access to eggs and for cleaning. the birds will be sectioned off from flying or roosting on top of the rabbits. 2ft wide and 6-8ft long on each side with a door access to run 24/7. After some thought I could block off the tops of the rabbit cages to prevent them from roosting on top and open up the whole floor plan to the birds. That way they can have full shed access and lots of vertical space. I do want them to have sufficient space and always like to give animals double to extra room, because we all do a little better with more space :) I like to think that a few extra birds is good to have just in case something happens and the flock shrinks, there is plenty of birds to keep the eggs and company rolling. I would not add any more per-say, unless a massive loss occurred this would be my max. for the space I have at the moment.

I like the idea for the puppy heat pad. I currently have two tubs ready to go and heat bulbs I raised my chicks on inside. I will eventually hook up a solar battery to have some power in the shed to heat water with a fish tank heater and a fan as needed per weather. I also have a chicken tractor I was planning on moving the birds into while I completed the shed if needed. It’s 10.5ftx6.5ft and I was told 20-30 chickens could fit into it. It has 5 nesting boxes and roosting posts too.

Last edited:
Great feedback and insight, thank you for taking the time to read and respond! Good point on the added moisture the ducks will add into the coop… I plan to Adobe cob the sides and bottom which will essentially be like “earth cement” plus adding a deep litter method I found very useful and clean for the first chickens I raised. I clean their coop daily as it’s meditative for me. This also will allow using a hose to hose down and clean the interior when needed.

I didn’t realize that about the bantams thank you for sharing your experience on those birds.

The bottom half of where the rabbit cage will hang above it s where I plan to fence in the coop with a pull down hatch for easy access to eggs and for cleaning. the birds will be sectioned off from flying or roosting on top of the rabbits. 2ft wide and 6-8ft long on each side with a door access to run 24/7. After some thought I could block off the tops of the rabbit cages to prevent them from roosting on top and open up the whole floor plan to the birds. That way they can have full shed access and lots of vertical space. I do want them to have sufficient space and always like to give animals double to extra room, because we all do a little better with more space :) I like to think that a few extra birds is good to have just in case something happens and the flock shrinks, there is plenty of birds to keep the eggs and company rolling. I would not add any more per-say, unless a massive loss occurred this would be my max. for the space I have at the moment.

I like the idea for the puppy heat pad. I currently have two tubs ready to go and heat bulbs I raised my chicks on inside. I will eventually hook up a solar battery to have some power in the shed to heat water with a fish tank heater and a fan as needed per weather. I also have a chicken tractor I was planning on moving the birds into while I completed the shed if needed. It’s 10.5ftx6.5ft and I was told 20-30 chickens could fit into it. It has 5 nesting boxes and roosting posts too.
I'd love to see pictures of the Adobe cob when you're done. I've seen videos and pictures of it being used in different housing structures but never in a coop. Sounds interesting.

I use the deep liter method too. It's great. I like that it's pretty maintenance free and my fields and garden love it.

I didn't mean a puppy heat pad. I meant puppy piddle pads. They soak up all the water that ducklings splash around. I still had to change them multiple times a day when the ducklings got older, but they hold an amazing amount of water.

Maybe 20-30 chicks could fit into a tractor that size, but I don't think you could fit 30 much less having them be happy. That would only be about 2 sq ft per bird. That wouldn't leave them room to move around. Even 20 would be pushing it. Plus they would destroy any plot of land they were put on in a very short time. I don't know who told you that many would fit in that space, but I would worry about any chickens they have been caring for. There are so many issues caused by birds being overcrowded. It would be plenty big for the birds you have listed though. Would be a great option for some outside play time on really warm sunny days when they aren't quite fully feathered too.

Hi DorrieSiobhan & chickypoo, I'm in Old Town Fort Collins with my 5 hens, and there are lots of homes around me with chickens! Fort Collins and Larimer County do allow hens (no roosters), but there could be restrictions by neighborhood or HOA.

I've heard some rumors that here in Fort Collins they are trying to make it legal to keep chickens. They wouldn't allow roosters, and you wouldn't be allowed to use the birds for meat, only eggs. Even though I would have gotten chickens anyway
wink.png
it's nice to know that soon I can do it legally!

Dorrie
Hi DorrieSiobhan & chickypoo, I'm in Old Town Fort Collins with my 5 hens, and there are lots of homes around me with chickens! Fort Collins and Larimer County do allow hens (no roosters), but there could be restrictions by neighborhood or HOA.

Back
Top Bottom