Colorado

Hey there fellow Coloradoans!
I'm in Colorado Springs, (Garden Ranch area) , but I feel an affinity with so many of you!

My husband and I went to HS in Parker (Ponderosa Grads).
My in-laws' family "homestead" is in Franktown (stone's throw from Elbert County as country roads go)
We lived in Greeley for 3 years, and Fort Collins for 4 years.
Now we've been in Colorado Springs for 2 1/2 years.

Maybe it's a neighborhood by neighborhood thing, but when we were in FC, (near Taft Hill Rd and Mulberry) we were allowed to keep chickens. That's where our first 4 were, and where they were eaten by local foxes, raccoon, and a neighbor dog.
sad.png
We're much more careful about how "free" our "free range" birds are now. They have an enclosed run and are only allowed out of it to wander the rest of the yard under CLOSE supervision.
Great to "meet" y'all.

My ILs say that they can't have chickens in Franktown (technically Russelville). But that just can't be! Everyone around them has horses, sheep, etc. Aren't those more "intrusive" than chickens???
Anyone know more about that?

I live about 20 minutes from Franktown and I see people with chickens along the highway just before Franktown (closer to Elizabeth). Russelville is usually thought of as the area south of Franktown by us locals. I have no idea on the 'rules' for chickens there but there are certainly all other manner of livestock.

There are some 'nice' subdivisions along Russelville Road so if your ILs live there it could be a covenants thing.

Oh, HI and welcome to another Coloradoan!

Hi Chicken Afficianados!

I too live in Loveland. Loveland is considering allowing backyard chickens (I am lucky enough to live in a little enclave that is not within the city limits and zoned farming, even though it's a subdivision, yippee for me!) I believe that Fort Collins did pass the backyard chicken ordinance.

I started my chickens in July. My black sex link started laying about 2 weeks ago, which REALLY surprised me. Not because of her age, but because I have not put any extra light in the chicken hut yet! She's been laying every day. My other two have yet to lay, but I'm not helping them any with the light situation.

I think it would be fun to do a chicken hut tour sometime. Mine is very simple, and I would love to see what other folks have done. I have had no experience with chickens prior to this, but have always wanted them. I knew that my dad had chickens when he was a boy, but his experience wouldn't help me too much. I recently learned that he had 30 - 40 thousand! chickens. That's more than I want : )

Howdy neighbors
big_smile.png

I live between the Springs and Fountain. I don't have any winged critters yet, but I am working on a pen and a "duck hut" so I can get some egg-laying ducks in the Spring.

Hello All

I am in Broomfield colorado.

I just started raising Chickens about 7 months ago, and i am enjoying it very much.
I would like to meet up with other chicken people, maybe we could exchange chicks or fertile eggs. I have several eggs in the incubator right now and so far they are doing well.

If you would like to meet up let me know.

Bryan "AKA Luckeydog"
big_smile.png

Welcome to all you new fellow Coloradoans and now BYCers.

Bryan we've tried to get together before (well kinda, it was chatted about) but it seems that we all live so far apart that nothing happened with it. Maybe next summer we can plan something.

Hello to all from Colorado Springs. Grew up on farms as a kid and have missed the chickens. So this year I ordered 3 (Barred Rock, Buff Orp and Black Australorp). Since they started laying, late August, we have received over 200 eggs from the three ladies.....

Alright - who in Colorado is planning to have hatching eggs available at some point?

I am hoping to have at least Delawares and Faverolles next season if I can find nice roos for my ladies... And I am trying to hatch some Marans and BBS Orps this winter. If that works, I may have those available, too.

It would be nice to find closer sources for hatching eggs!

Back
Top Bottom