Colorado

Ice Cold Gold is also available on the animal planet website, in full episodes. We don't have cable, so we find a restaurant to watch it at!! And then we re-watch it online! My hubby is Chad. I loved the statement he made "I'm ecstatic" in his monotone voice- Yup! That's Chad excited!!!!! Pretty even keeled! He doesn't get a ton of face time, but next Sunday is going to be more about him, we are told. I will be in it briefly too as they reflect on his home!
Regarding the find, you'll have to watch to episode 6, as we cant disclose details!!
I'm trying to get Chad to make an appearance at Chickenfest....

Hope everyone is ready for the pending storm/cold snap. My gals have been spoiled rotten the last few days. My parents are visiting which means lots of homemade food in excessive amounts which translated into a fridge clean out. They have had steak scraps, tuna casserole, vegi mixes and a bunch of other stuff. Oh, and a suicidal mouse. It popped out of a hole right in the door jam as I was closing the door. Avoided a multitude of traps for the last few months and was done in by my closing a door. :rolleyes:

The chicks from Yashar have shipped!!!
wee.gif
Yay!!!! It's only half of them as the others are a little more finicky to hatch. But they are coming. I'm chick-cited.

Nice! I think that's one of the few HOAs that allow them. Lucky. :)

Hi, I'm Vicki and I live in HR for over 25 years (did I say that?). I've been visiting here for quite a while and learning everything I can. This is a great group - very active and informative.

IMHO the Highland Ranch HOA requirements are written to make it difficult to actually have chickens: Architectural Committee approval on the coop, 4.5 ft height maximum, and the 4 chickens includes cats and dogs (i.e. 2 chickens, 1 cat, and 1 dog for a total of 4 animals - a detail hidden in the out buildings requirements), no roosters, no ducks, no goats or other farm animals. Neighbors would probably be the key to being able to keep them. I have wanted to have chickens but knowing how the Ranch is, I have never tried to get any birds.

Their HOA requirements are on page 5: http://hrcaonline.org/Portals/0/doc...nance/RIG June 2012 revision final draft.pdf .

Really these requirements are only good for getting chickens allowed in other areas.

We are hoping to move to a new place with some land and the ability to have chickens among other things, but moving looks like it will be a little while before that happens. Interesting enough, I acquired 4 - 4.5 week old chicks by trying out an incubator with eggs that shouldn't have hatched. A barnyard mix with chicks that look like a naked neck, speckled sussex, RIR, and a EE (out of an olive colored egg). They will eventually be living in the mountains until we get a place or the chickens get too old to want to come home.
smile.png

Vicki

Flock update: I am still missing my Beakers. Prior to the incident, I was averaging about 22 eggs a day. I am now averaging between 16and 18. Anakin took out the weaker and smaller birds along with an average of 4 layers. The rest were the smaller hens like one of my colloncas, my two polish, my silkie roo and the pullets. My dark olive egger is still with me along with my speckled green egg layer. I still have my purple spot layer too.

The 3 babies under the broody hen are still doing wonderfully and soon, I'll have some colloncas.

Who wanted some colloncas?

Flock update: I am still missing my Beakers. Prior to the incident, I was averaging about 22 eggs a day. I am now averaging between 16and 18. Anakin took out the weaker and smaller birds along with an average of 4 layers. The rest were the smaller hens like one of my colloncas, my two polish, my silkie roo and the pullets. My dark olive egger is still with me along with my speckled green egg layer. I still have my purple spot layer too.

The 3 babies under the broody hen are still doing wonderfully and soon, I'll have some colloncas.

Who wanted some colloncas?

frow.gif
When and how much $? I just want 2 or 3, but I will wait to see how many will be available, it isn't as if I'm hurting for birds here LOL. If others want them I will wait for the next opportunity, or for you to hatch some!

I have the 10 Egyptian Fayoumis in a pen all their own but still inside the coop, and I want to move them to their own space so I am going to try and build them something simple over the next couple of weekends, weather permitting. Meantime the 4 males are continuing to scrap. I need to rehome 2 of them I believe, and would happily give them, or give two pairs, to you, or to someone who wants to try them.

With no standard the only thing I know to select for is what I like to look at right now, and there is only 1 male I am especially intent on keeping, only because his neck is a bit whiter than the others. In a few weeks they will probably be impossible to tell apart, he might just have grown out his white a bit earlier than the others. Because of their rapid rate of maturity I expect the pullets to begin laying around July.

They are definitely a breed apart. Almost look and act like a cross between games and leghorns - light bodied, fast moving, quick to react but also quick to relax - this especially reminds me of leghorns. Every night they do their little freak-out when I open their pen to take out the FF container, refresh crumble and grit, and look at them for a few minutes. I crouch down and just watch them for a while, and within seconds they are peering at me, making sure it's really me I guess, and then go about their business.

If there is anything here I can donate to your flock rebuild just say the word. Seriously. Before Saturday LOL. I will PM you and let you know what's here.

Back
Top Bottom