Colour genetics question.

Lobodugald

Songster
Dec 22, 2019
Good day everyone.
I have searched for this answer all over but different websites have different answers....
If I breed my black Pekin roo to my Lavender Pekin hen, will the chicks be self-blue or will they be black?
Also, how does self-blue differ from normal blue?
Thanks in advance.

They will be black but split to lavender. So when the f1s are bred back to lavender it will produce lavender. Self- blue and lavender are the same thing so there is no splash and black offspring like with the BBS gene.

Blue refers to Andalusian blue.
Self blue is lavender.

Adding to clarify a bit- Blue varieties produce blue, black and splash. It's a diluter of black that stacks, one copy of gene is blue and two copies makes splash.

Lavender is a diluter of black that breeds true if both parents carry two copies. One copy of gene is black. Furthermore, lavender is not laced like the blue variety.

Last edited:
They will be black but split to lavender. So when the f1s are bred back to lavender it will produce lavender. Self- blue and lavender are the same thing so there is no splash and black offspring like with the BBS gene.
Excellent answer thank you so much. That is exactly what I wanted to know. So I can keep one rooster from the f1 and he can be used to make black and lavender babies. Can only keep one rooster on the property and have already got black hens and only one lavender hen with very brittle feathers. Thank you so much..

Blue refers to Andalusian blue.
Self blue is lavender.

Adding to clarify a bit- Blue varieties produce blue, black and splash. It's a diluter of black that stacks, one copy of gene is blue and two copies makes splash.

Lavender is a diluter of black that breeds true if both parents carry two copies. One copy of gene is black. Furthermore, lavender is not laced like the blue variety.
Thank you so much for this, I really appreciate it. You people are always so helpful!!

Back
Top Bottom