Comb types

<3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3

Songster
10 Years
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I don't know like, any comb types! Please help me. Poast a pic of a type of comb and some breeds of chicken with that type of comb. PIcs would be nice there too.

_ _
born2Bwild

This Barred Rock roo is single combed, most breeds are single combed
37373_100_5215.jpg

This Splash laced Red Wyandotte roo is rose combed. All Wyandottes, Dominiques, true Rhode Island Whites, some Dorkings and a few other smaller and bantam breeds have rose combs.
37373_100_5196.jpg

And I don't have pics for some of the others, but I will tell you and you can look up the combs and breeds.

Pea Combs: Brahmas, Cornish, Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, Chanteclers,Cubalayas, etc..

V- Comb: Polish, Houdans, and other crested breeds.

Walnut combs: Silkies

Last edited:
There are 7 common comb types.
33115_img_new.jpg

Single- This comb is a moderately thin, fleshy formation of smooth soft surface texture, firmly attached from the beak along the top of the skull with a strong base. The top portion shows five or six rather deep serrations or distinct points, the middle points being higher than the anterior or posterior, forming a semi-oval when viewed from the side. The comb is always erect and much larger and thicker in males than in females.

Rose- A broad comb, nearly flat on top, covered with regular points, and finished with a spike or leader. It varies in length, width, and carriage according to breed.

Pea- The Pea comb is a medium length, low comb, the top of which is marked with three low lengthwise ridges, the center one is slightly higher that the outer ones. The outer ones are either undulated or marked with small rounded serrations. This style comb has many variations that are still referred to as a pea comb.

V Shape- This comb is defined by the two horn like sections that are joined at their base as in Houdans, Polish, Crevecoeurs, LaFleche and Sultans

Cushion- A solid low, moderately small comb; smooth on top, the front, rear and sides are nearly straight with rounded corners. It has no spikes.

Buttercup- This comb consists of a single leader from base of beak to a cup-shaped crown set firmly on the center of the skull and completely surmounted by a circle of regular points. The cavity within the circle of points should be deep, the texture of the comb should be fine. Also referred to as a cup comb like found on the buttercup chicken.

Strawberry- A low comb that is set well-forward. The shape and surface resemble the outer part of half a strawberry, with the large end nearest the beak of the chicken.

Other are:

Walnut- A comb that resembles one half of a walnut meat in appearance like the comb found on silkies.

Triple- This comb is medium sized, and fleshy. The main characteristics are the three ridges of bumpy projections the run down the length of the comb like ridges. Usually found in Oriental breeds of fowl like the Asil, and the Shamo.

Raspberry- A comb somewhat resembling a raspberry cut through its axis (lengthwise) and covered with small protuberances.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom