Combined open-air coop and run

Good news! Today I found out that I misunderstood the city's rules for accessory buildings, and I can put in a much larger run than I thought. So now I can go with my first instinct and try to give the chickens more room than 10 sq. feet while still having a combined coop and run. Thank you all for your helpful advice!

Good news! Today I found out that I misunderstood the city's rules for accessory buildings, and I can put in a much larger run than I thought. So now I can go with my first instinct and try to give the chickens more room than 10 sq. feet while still having a combined coop and run. Thank you all for your helpful advice!

Wonderful news!

We live in a suburb north of the DFW metroplex, and still have bobcats and coyotes (8 ft fence). Hawks are our primary concern. -looks like your setup will be covered. We have an open air coop/run because of the heat, but it is completely enclosed - every square inch (all sides and bottom) with hardware cloth, sealed vents, sealed door to eliminate rats. You do not want a rat issue. Definitely, the more space you have - the better. It's good that you can have more space than you thought!!

Attachments

• IMG_1216.jpg
    IMG_1216.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 33
We live in a suburb north of the DFW metroplex, and still have bobcats and coyotes (8 ft fence). Hawks are our primary concern. -looks like your setup will be covered. We have an open air coop/run because of the heat, but it is completely enclosed - every square inch (all sides and bottom) with hardware cloth, sealed vents, sealed door to eliminate rats. You do not want a rat issue. Definitely, the more space you have - the better. It's good that you can have more space than you thought!!
Picture perfect setting!

I would make decisions based on whatever predators you have around and plan for more space. Omlet was great for my bunnies, but I never used their runs because they’re super basic and not designed to keep out a determined predator in my opinion. We don’t really have many predators here, our biggest risks are birds of prey and cats/dogs. However there have been reports of raccoons here in the valley so I planned for that. My coop is open air with a padlock on the door, no attached run. My flock of 5 has access to the whole backyard normally, but are currently in a 350ish square foot side yard until some recent transplants grow up a bit. Whichever option you go with, you can always add roosts up high which gives more space above ground. Any clutter you use to break line of sight can do this as well. Old chairs, tables, etc work well for this.

Definitely read 3KillerB’s article on Hot Climates because, next to predators, the Texas heat will be your biggest enemy.

I’m in Austin and experience high humidity as well. I have a large open-air coop/run combo. Besides being open-air you will want fans too. As you already know, we have experienced high 90’s and triple digit heat since May. My girls love their fans in the coop and in the yard too! I recently added an evaporative cooler to the mix and it’s helped tremendously.

Anyway, just remember… go bigger than you think, prepare because the predators will come, and great ventilation is imperative!! Good luck with your coop 👍😊

P.S. Here are some pics of my girls enjoying their evaporative cooler in 106 degrees with a “Real Feel” of 112 degrees. And… yes, evaporative coolers still help in high humidity.

Attachments

• 74C4A05B-A31B-4BB2-9D10-CA1D801D5973.png
    74C4A05B-A31B-4BB2-9D10-CA1D801D5973.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
  • A1E10AFF-FA12-4DA1-8E78-AE3C4DC7E211.png
    A1E10AFF-FA12-4DA1-8E78-AE3C4DC7E211.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
  • F5BD744E-13A7-4A21-9104-79D0AC75A8A4.png
    F5BD744E-13A7-4A21-9104-79D0AC75A8A4.png
    3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Attachments

• F21F40DD-7912-4DC3-A0FD-4CCBE89EDFE3.jpeg
    F21F40DD-7912-4DC3-A0FD-4CCBE89EDFE3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I don't have chickens yet but I'm planning for them. It's very hot in the Dallas area, so I want to do an open-air design. A lot of people recommend 4 sq. feet per bird in the coop and 10 sq. feet in the run. But what if your run and coop are combined in an open-air design? For instance, I'm thinking of getting the 9'x12' Omlet Walk-In Chicken Run and using it as both the run and the coop. I'll cover the top and one end with tarp to provide shelter from the sun and rain. I'll put the roosts in the sheltered side.

So should I plan for 14 sq. feet per bird in a combined open-air coop/run, or is 10 sq. feet fine? To put it another way, does the "coop" side of the structure count as part of the run during the day?

If my question sounds strange, here's the reason for it: I'd like to get 10 chickens. City regulations allow up to 25 chickens, but they won't allow an "accessory building" larger than the 9' x 12' run, because we already have a shed on the property. So I'm trying to figure out whether 10 chickens will be happy in the 9'x12' Omlet Walk-In Chicken Run. If they won't be, then I'll probably give up on the idea of a combined coop and run. Instead, I would get a smaller coop (still an open-air design) and put up a fence around a larger run area. That way the run won't be included in the square footage of the "accessory building."

Thanks in advance!
Make it as big as you can, chicken math always prevails.....

Back
Top Bottom