Coming Soon... A Mini Flock in Southeastern MA!

castillo_de_luz

Mother of Diamonds
Premium Feather Member
Dec 10, 2023
South Shore MA
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
This city/suburban lady is very new to chickens -- so new, in fact, that she doesn't have them yet! We bought our house with an acre of land almost one year ago, and have been working on "indoor" projects before feeling ready to do something outside. Spring 2024 is the year!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None! We plan to begin with 4 pullets in spring 2024 -- still working on breed selection.

(3) What breeds do you have?
So many options! Friendly and cold-hardy are most important. These will be for pets and eggs (no roos) so a small flock of ladies feels right.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Our neighbors across the street have a flock of about 8, and watching them from my office window is a daily delight. I've wanted chickens for many years, but was a city/suburban dweller until just recently. Fluffy butts and tasty eggs are in my future!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
This household is alllll about our hobbies! Music, photography, wine, books, travel, gardening, keeping up with our Maine Coon kitten, and researching chickens are just a few.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My partner J and I moved to our house on an acre of land and have been slowly settling in to new homeowner life. I work from home full time and he works from home some days and commutes into Cambridge other days, so we're often around the house and neighborhood. Our enormous Maine Coon kitten keeps things active and interesting, and we love to explore the area as often as possible. I'm a MA South Shore native, he's an OH transplant. While "homesteading" isn't quite what I'd call it, I'm beyond excited to have a veg and herb garden, flower field, and now chickens to help keep us fed and contribute to a more sustainable lifestyle.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I love it here already! Thanks to superior Google skills, this community often comes up as an answer to my burning questions. So in preparation for chicken ownership, I'm finally joining to get my feet wet and meet the locals, so to speak.

Congrats on your move and new lifestyle! Also, very good idea to delve into all the research you can before you add hens. However, no matter how much you learn, those crazy chickens will still surprise you with unimaginable challenges!

This is a great community of generous and knowledgeable folks who will be happy to help you in any way we can. Let us know when you get those first girls! Welcome to BYC; we're glad to have you as part of our flock!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
This city/suburban lady is very new to chickens -- so new, in fact, that she doesn't have them yet! We bought our house with an acre of land almost one year ago, and have been working on "indoor" projects before feeling ready to do something outside. Spring 2024 is the year!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None! We plan to begin with 4 pullets in spring 2024 -- still working on breed selection.

(3) What breeds do you have?
So many options! Friendly and cold-hardy are most important. These will be for pets and eggs (no roos) so a small flock of ladies feels right.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Our neighbors across the street have a flock of about 8, and watching them from my office window is a daily delight. I've wanted chickens for many years, but was a city/suburban dweller until just recently. Fluffy butts and tasty eggs are in my future!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
This household is alllll about our hobbies! Music, photography, wine, books, travel, gardening, keeping up with our Maine Coon kitten, and researching chickens are just a few.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My partner J and I moved to our house on an acre of land and have been slowly settling in to new homeowner life. I work from home full time and he works from home some days and commutes into Cambridge other days, so we're often around the house and neighborhood. Our enormous Maine Coon kitten keeps things active and interesting, and we love to explore the area as often as possible. I'm a MA South Shore native, he's an OH transplant. While "homesteading" isn't quite what I'd call it, I'm beyond excited to have a veg and herb garden, flower field, and now chickens to help keep us fed and contribute to a more sustainable lifestyle.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I love it here already! Thanks to superior Google skills, this community often comes up as an answer to my burning questions. So in preparation for chicken ownership, I'm finally joining to get my feet wet and meet the locals, so to speak.
Welcome! I love your enthusiasm! You will find many kindred spirits here! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom