Companion plants for potatoes?

nuthatched

Orneriness & Co.
Nov 9, 2019
Rim Country, Az
Hi there, I'm planting a bunch of potatoes this year, Yukon and Russett, I'm planing on using cattle panels or fencing to get the most out of my 16x16 garden, what can I plant on top of or next to the potatoes that does well vertically?
Thanks!

According to the classic book :”Carrots love tomatoes” by Louise Riotte, a book on companion planting, the plants that HINDER potatoes are cucumbers, pumpkin, squash, sunflowers, and tomatoes. Looking further, the book states that potatoes grown near cucumbers are more likely to be affected by phytophthora blight.

The plants that are BENEFICIAL to potatoes are bush beans, cabbage (and brassicas), corn, eggplant, marigolds, and nasturtiums.

Reading further, horseradish can be planted at the edges of the potato plot and they are symbiotic to each other (potatoes and horseradish), and the potatoes are more resistant to disease, and are healthier. Apparently, horseradish is effective against the blister beetle, but not the potato beetle. Horseradish can be invasive, so it should be dug up at the end of the season.

The book notes to NOT plant melons near potatoes, but does not say why (info under “melons” in the book).

Peas grow well with potatoes.

“Watermelons are good to interplant with potatoes, especially if potatoes are mulched with straw.”

“Do NOT plant raspberries near potatoes, since they make potatoes more susceptible to blight”

“Orach should never be placed near potatoes since it has an inhibiting effect on their growth”

Pole beans: nothing mentioned either way, so these should be ok to plant in the fence around the potato patch.

All the above is from the same book. It addresses each veg, herb separately, so the info is spread out.

“Do NOT plant raspberries near potatoes, since they make potatoes more susceptible to blight”
I had a small raspberry bed. The canes all died of some kind of blight. I planted potatoes in that bed. I got beautiful plants that suddenly began to get yellow from the ground up, then withered and died.

At the time, I didn't know cane fruit (raspberries, blackberries) and potatoes could share a pathogen.

According to the classic book :”Carrots love tomatoes” by Louise Riotte, a book on companion planting, the plants that HINDER potatoes are cucumbers, pumpkin, squash, sunflowers, and tomatoes. Looking further, the book states that potatoes grown near cucumbers are more likely to be affected by phytophthora blight.

The plants that are BENEFICIAL to potatoes are bush beans, cabbage (and brassicas), corn, eggplant, marigolds, and nasturtiums.

Reading further, horseradish can be planted at the edges of the potato plot and they are symbiotic to each other (potatoes and horseradish), and the potatoes are more resistant to disease, and are healthier. Apparently, horseradish is effective against the blister beetle, but not the potato beetle. Horseradish can be invasive, so it should be dug up at the end of the season.

The book notes to NOT plant melons near potatoes, but does not say why (info under “melons” in the book).

Peas grow well with potatoes.

“Watermelons are good to interplant with potatoes, especially if potatoes are mulched with straw.”

“Orach should never be placed near potatoes since it has an inhibiting effect on their growth”

Pole beans: nothing mentioned either way, so these should be ok to plant in the fence around the potato patch.

All the above is from the same book. It addresses each veg, herb separately, so the info is spread out.
Marigolds are great, anywhere. And they're my favorite flower, too.

We do as well! Color in the garden, treats for the chickens. The marigold petals can make the yolks deeper yellow/orange.
I didn't realize that about marigolds.

My first garden was a 4'x4' area within my mother's large garden. I was about 7. I grew standard marigolds and lots of weeds. My mother was tolerant.

Marigolds tucked in around other plants are supposedly a pest deterrent. I use the petite type all around my yard. And I actually like the smell of the foliage, it speaks to my heart of my childhood.

Calendula is another great flower along with the marigolds-I have started seeds for both now and they are among the easiest seeds to germinate and plants to grow. Most culinary and medicinal herbs are good companion plants because they are so high in essential oils that few pests will bother them.

Back
Top Bottom