Compost in the Sping

OperationHatch

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Otsego, MI
My Coop
My Coop
I want to start a compost in the spring. We have PLENTY of space, but I want it to be an adequate size that I can still turn it by hand (no machinery).

First of all, what all can I put in it as far as animal waste... I have heard that dog waste is not a good thing to mix (too bad, we have a dog boarding facility), but I have chickens and rabbits.

Also, what CANNOT be composted.

What time period am I seeing until I can use the compost?

I will take a stab at this question and try to get the ball rolling... We have six homemade compost bins that are four feet square. They are open at the top for ease of disposal and entry of water when it rains and have slats on the side for air. We do not turn them since they are wooden structures with a place to shovel out soil at the bottom of one side. We get soil from two of these each year.

Starting from scratch, we actively add to two of the bins for one year. We let those two cook for one year. We use it the third year. Everything rotates.

What do we add... Chicken poo, organic everything from leaves to whatever the chickens won't eat, clearing out the garden at the end of the year, weeding piles, coffee grounds...

"They" say that if you add chicken poo to your compost you should let your compost sit at least ??? 1 year. ??? So the ?ammonia? Doesn't burn your crop. I do not know about rabbit poo.

Just a heads up, it is really freaky when you put chicken poo into a compost. Usually it takes months and months for the compost to break down. You put a good load of chicken poo in and it is way down in days..

If you add plant material to your pile that you have not grown yourself, or ANY type of manure, please read up on Killer Compost.

Many articles are around, try Mother Earth News.

Persistant herbicides are found in many feeds and making their way through the guts of animals, creating herbicidal manure. This crap persists, even throughthe composting process and can remain toxic to plants for years.

I know, I'm a 'victim'. I've made hundreds of pounds of compost from the manure of my sheep and llama. My garden plants all curled, withered, and died. All but the ones planted in straight potting soil. Now I have to dig out all my raised beds.

Back
Top Bottom