Russell Delaronde

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2019
So, i'm starting this thread just to gain some advice because it's an issue i'll be tackling, I've noticed the past few weeks my roosters feet were beginning to look crusty, almost like skin is getting more and more on his legs. (I will take pictures) One thing I was concerned about was of course the Scaly Leg mite seeing as this isn't my first rodeo I've had chickens for sometime. One thing I read about the scaly leg mite was that if it is the mite, that you should see it becoming a problem with other chickens within the flock, so i've been keeping an eye on the other chickens (I only have 4 at the moment planning on getting additional this spring) in the flock to see if one gets it than i'll know to take immediate action on the scaly leg mite, but as a few weeks have passed my other chickens in the flock seem happy and healthy and their legs are fine. Any ideas on what other possible things can be wrong with his legs? Again i'll be taking an up close look at him in the coming days and have some pictures to post, if it is the mite i'd also like some ideas on the best way to treat it. Thank you very much :)

Pictures of the legs and feet would be helpful. Scaly leg mites will leave a dry ash colored appearance. Sometimes there may be only 1 or 2 chickens affected, but it can spread. Treating your coop, roosts, and nest boxes with permethrin 10 concentrate mixed with water in a spray bottle or garden sprayer can help to control them for a month. Legs mites can get so bad that chickens can lose toes.
Castor oil is a good oil to use to coat the legs, but people use vaseline, shortening, vegetable and mineral oil. Some use Nustock cream. Initially, you can soak the legs in warm soapy water, and gently brush the scales with a soft toothbrush. Rub the oil up and under the scales after drying the legs.

Permethrin lasts for a month on coop walls, roosts, and nests. The chickens legs should be treated at least once a week for some time until new scales are growing in.

Back
Top Bottom