Connecticut Chicken Stock

i would like about for pullets. i would perfer orps, or rhode islands reds to start i here they are pretty good starter birds and that they are friendly. if you have any recommendations on friendly chickens let me know

Quote:
Each town is different. Gotta call your town hall. What town are you in?
There may be someone here from your town already.

I'm in Beacon Falls but work in South Windsor. Lots of chickies up there.

i am also new to chickens... i built a coop last spring (07) and got chickens in Aug.(?) 3 chickens to be exact... Big Red (NH Red) I.T.G and Lola (Golden Comets) sadly to say the two Golden's died this winter... i learned a couple of hard lessons... like that mice will pluck feathers out of the chicken and then the other chickens will attack it : ( but i still have Big Red... she's a layer... i am looking to get three more chickens for the spring..(wait that's now- how time flys) does anyone know of a place around Southern Massachusetts that had a Variety of Pullets?

count me in for CHIXSTOCK. i'm gonna try to get all my chickophile's to come with.........

let me know whats up, as time goes by..

brian

thats what all my chicken friends say. my inside roost was only about 5 inches off the ground, they told me it had to be a min. of 8" off the ground to keep the mice from pulling the feather..... if anyone knows anything different please let me know. i don't want the same thing to happen to my new chickens when i get them.
brian
bridgewater Ma.

Quote:
i'm a mile over the line into barkhamsted,
lived in collinsville for 12 years previous to moving here 3 years ago
smile.png

Quote:
Wow, never heard about mice pulling feathers, but my roosts are way high anyway. My lighter breed hens like to roost as high as they can get, tippy top. Heavier birds roost 4-5 ft.

Hi-
Looking forward to Chickenstock CT 2008 and will continue to check here to get the details.
New to BYC and chickens in general, so will lean on y'all for awhile whilst I get my feet wet.
Any other chicken lovers in the area of Madison (shoreline)?
We have a 1 horse barn that I am planning on making our coop, and hope the girls will enjoy "free ranging" during the day-though I may build a long run on wheels to roll to different locations if we start losing them to local pests. This might sound like a stupid question, but are there any breed of chicken where the rooster doesn't feel the need to crow? I would like to sell fertile eggs, but the neighbor (and brother in law) is observing " a rooster in every pot" if I bring in a bigmouth
sad.png
!

Back
Top Bottom