Considering Fall chicks… too cold?

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
I’ve been in the black hole of BYC for a few hours now reading about fall vs spring chicks, MHPs, and here I am again- overthinking😂

A hatchery has the breeds available and doesn’t require I purchase 6 like most feed stores near me- but they can’t ship until first week of November. I’m in southwestern, PA. Winters get pretty cold here. usually in the teens for January. Sometimes negatives further into Winter.

1. I’ve only raised chicks in the spring (once) and did it indoors with a heat lamp then switched to heat plate. My coop isn’t really large enough for a brooder, but my run is. How would I acclimate them to the cold weather if I brood indoors? Short field trips outside once they’re fully feathered?

2. I’ve never introduced new birds and I’m not looking forward to it. (I’ve read all of the articles on how to do it) and I’m thinking it might be easier in the spring?

3. Thoughts and/or talk me out of getting fall chicks 😂

Thanks all!

I’ve been in the black hole of BYC for a few hours now reading about fall vs spring chicks, MHPs, and here I am again- overthinking😂

A hatchery has the breeds available and doesn’t require I purchase 6 like most feed stores near me- but they can’t ship until first week of November. I’m in southwestern, PA. Winters get pretty cold here. usually in the teens for January. Sometimes negatives further into Winter.

1. I’ve only raised chicks in the spring (once) and did it indoors with a heat lamp then switched to heat plate. My coop isn’t really large enough for a brooder, but my run is. How would I acclimate them to the cold weather if I brood indoors? Short field trips outside once they’re fully feathered?

2. I’ve never introduced new birds and I’m not looking forward to it. (I’ve read all of the articles on how to do it) and I’m thinking it might be easier in the spring?

3. Thoughts and/or talk me out of getting fall chicks 😂

Thanks all!
I’ve never done fall chicks before either but I had a major snow storm after my spring chicks once! Not that that’s helpful at all! 😂 Personally, I’d wait unless you can keep good sized pullets in the house during winter months. Especially with your winter conditions in NJ. I would say introductions would be best in spring too because you could free range them (if that’s an option). Lots of great advice on introductions here on BYC! I’ve introduced new chicks 3x now without a hitch using the “see but can’t touch method”. I have a section portioned off in my run with wire in between where babies and big girls can see each other for weeks and weeks but cannot touch. Eventually I allow them to free range together and it’s always gone well! A few pecks and chasing but normal stuff! That’s my two cents for what it’s worth! I’m curious how people have done fall chicks with harsh winters! Hopefully you get some more advice! Good luck with what you decide! 🐓

I’ve never done fall chicks before either but I had a major snow storm after my spring chicks once! Not that that’s helpful at all! 😂 Personally, I’d wait unless you can keep good sized pullets in the house during winter months. Especially with your winter conditions in NJ. I would say introductions would be best in spring too because you could free range them (if that’s an option). Lots of great advice on introductions here on BYC! I’ve introduced new chicks 3x now without a hitch using the “see but can’t touch method”. I have a section portioned off in my run with wire in between where babies and big girls can see each other for weeks and weeks but cannot touch. Eventually I allow them to free range together and it’s always gone well! A few pecks and chasing but normal stuff! That’s my two cents for what it’s worth! I’m curious how people have done fall chicks with harsh winters! Hopefully you get some more advice! Good luck with what you decide! 🐓
I love to hear that your integrations went well! I definitely need to get a portion of the run sectioned off.

I think I will wait…great point about free ranging. Snow would make that impossible since the girls hate it!

Ahhh, patience is a virtue I suppose LOL 🐥

I love to hear that your integrations went well! I definitely need to get a portion of the run sectioned off.

I think I will wait…great point about free ranging. Snow would make that impossible since the girls hate it!

Ahhh, patience is a virtue I suppose LOL 🐥
Maybe some others will reply with fall chicks success! Reach out when it’s time to integrate! Happy to send some pics of what I did. :)

My coop isn’t really large enough for a brooder,
Then is it big enough to add more chickens, let alone integrate more? Integration takes more room than just coexisting after they are integrated.

but my run is.
Some possibilities here. We'd have to know what your facilities look like (coop and run) before we can give suggestions specific to your situation. I brood in the coop in freezing weather, some brood in the run in freezing weather. You have to have good facilities for that as it is more dangerous but it can be done.

How would I acclimate them to the cold weather if I brood indoors? Short field trips outside once they’re fully feathered?
Even before they are fully feathered, it will help them feather out faster.

It is easier in warmer weather. What might be a minor inconvenience in warm weather could be a fatal event in freezing weather. Some of us do it but the extra risk is there.

but they can’t ship until first week of November.
If the shipment runs into an ice storm, blizzard, or airplane delays chick can die. You are much more likely to run into bad weather in winter. You can still run into weather problems in nice weather (think tornadoes or heavy fog) but those are less likely in warmer weather. Also, avoid shipping over a holiday weekend. Traffic is heavier and there is a spike in problems with shipping reported on here on holiday weekends.

3. Thoughts and/or talk me out of getting fall chicks
It can be done but I would not want it to be my first time integrating. There is a learning curve in integrating chicks. Go through that when there is less chance that a mistake will kill them. Try to set yourself up for success instead of failure, either during shipping or after you have them.

Then is it big enough to add more chickens, let alone integrate more? Integration takes more room than just coexisting after they are integrated.

Some possibilities here. We'd have to know what your facilities look like (coop and run) before we can give suggestions specific to your situation. I brood in the coop in freezing weather, some brood in the run in freezing weather. You have to have good facilities for that as it is more dangerous but it can be done.

Even before they are fully feathered, it will help them feather out faster.

It is easier in warmer weather. What might be a minor inconvenience in warm weather could be a fatal event in freezing weather. Some of us do it but the extra risk is there.

If the shipment runs into an ice storm, blizzard, or airplane delays chick can die. You are much more likely to run into bad weather in winter. You can still run into weather problems in nice weather (think tornadoes or heavy fog) but those are less likely in warmer weather. Also, avoid shipping over a holiday weekend. Traffic is heavier and there is a spike in problems with shipping reported on here on holiday weekends.

It can be done but I would not want it to be my first time integrating. There is a learning curve in integrating chicks. Go through that when there is less chance that a mistake will kill them. Try to set yourself up for success instead of failure, either during shipping or after you have them.
Thank you! This is very informative! I think it makes sense to wait until spring.

Pictures of inside the coop. We have 3 chickens now. Originally had 6. So there’s definitely room for more but the layout is kind of awkward. It’s a walk in coop. Not many options to change up the roosting area to accommodate a brooding space.

Attachments

• 3E533687-BC7A-472E-8F53-5C2A6CA025CD.jpeg
    3E533687-BC7A-472E-8F53-5C2A6CA025CD.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 18
  • FE607D9A-FA4B-43AC-BEA5-46C25AD4F005.jpeg
    FE607D9A-FA4B-43AC-BEA5-46C25AD4F005.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 76621031-010E-43FB-A22D-5C420745217C.jpeg
    76621031-010E-43FB-A22D-5C420745217C.jpeg
    551.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 3606D7E8-F4A0-4BA4-8798-F0AB9A72166C.jpeg
    3606D7E8-F4A0-4BA4-8798-F0AB9A72166C.jpeg