Consistent silkie constipation?

Ry123

Songster
Feb 14, 2022
California, San Diego
Hi everyone I have a silkie that has consistently had this issue. I feel like it's constipation rather then a infection as previously posted I believe last year. This is a video of her

I feed her Purina oyster feed, nature wise feather fixer on the side, black soldier larvae from grubterra. I provide her with both wet and dry food. I also add a extra bowl of just calcium so she can get any if she needs. I really don't know what could be causing this issue. Any ideas? And if you guys feel that maybe she isn't constipated what could be going on? Yesterday night she had a full crop and this morning some food but mainly flat. Sort of half and half type of texture for her crop. I gave her a calcium pill this morning to see if Maybe she had a egg stuck or it could help her contract to push out anything in her. Additionally, I saw her poop today and it was small but solid. Thank you for any help given! It truly is appreciated.

Photos of her poop?

Does she lay eggs?
I'd give her the Calcium Citrate with D3 once daily for a few days to see if that helps her expel an egg.
See that she's staying hydrated and eating.

If her crop is not emptying overnight, then address that symptom according to the article linked below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I will take a photo of her poop once I get home. She hasn't laid a egg in a while. She still has a Appetite and is drinking water. And her crop mainly flat this morning. I will get her to take D3 do I give her the 1000IU

Last edited:
Snapchat-1172236290.jpg
this is her poop

She still has a Appetite and is drinking water. And her crop mainly flat this morning. I will get her to take D3 do I give her the 1000IU
Calcium Citrate w/D3, at least 300mg a day.

If the crop is not emptying, then treat that symptom.

What do you feed including treats? If you feel she's having a hard time pooping, you can give her a little coconut oil to see if that helps get things moving.

To me she looks like she's having some reproductive problems, but it would be a good idea to take a sample of poop to your vet for a fecal float to rule out worms.

I'd give her the Calcium Citrate with D3 once daily for a few days to see if that helps her expel an egg.
See that she's staying hydrated and eating.

If her crop is not emptying overnight, then address that symptom according to the article linked below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What do you feed including treats? If you feel she's having a hard time pooping, you can give her a little coconut oil to see if that helps get things moving.

To me she looks like she's having some reproductive problems, but it would be a good idea to take a sample of poop to your vet for a fecal float to rule out worms.
This has also been her poop she has been drinking a lot of water and I can feel her keel bone I force fed her some food today. I will check her crop tomorrow morning. She has started to move around more after her calcium and coconut oil today and she has started talking more compared to the morning. But i am confused as to why she has lost weight and her poop comes out solid. Why could she be drinking so much extra water?
IMG_9592.jpg

Last edited:

Other then soldier larvae as treats I sometimes get her Greek yogurt. She isn't a free roaming hen she is typically in her wide cage because there are too many predators.

Last edited:
You could just deworm her.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm, use:

Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

---OR---

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom