Consolidated Kansas

Morning everyone! I am very happy to find a thread full of Kansans! I am currently in Wichita but grew up in Abbyville. Had a lot of fun with the Rumford rodeo. They kept some of their horses in the pasture behind our farm when I was growing up. I currently have 6 kids an Airforce husband 3 dogs and 8 chickens.

Danz, I am still having good luck keeping owls away by using cheep solar lights. I have them at different height in my poultry lots. The only loss I have had this year was in an area where I did not have the lights. I have guineas and turkeys that roost on top of 6 foot chain link pens. I am convinced that it is the bright light that messes with their night vision.
Ralph, my geese and ducks spend the night right under the yard light by the driveway every night. My oldest Pyr lays right there among them. Until last year we never had a owl take a duck under the lights, but they would grab them from elsewhere. I know the dog would intervene but of course he runs to help the other two dogs if they have something they are pursuing. That's when he striked. DH happened to walk out about 4:00 am a couple nights ago. The dogs were all after some critter in the pasture. He saw the owl grab the duck and try to pull of his head but dropped it when he saw DH. Unfortunately the duck had already had it's neck broken and died.
Quote:
Oh and not sure if you guys have read, 3 private chicken/fowl/bird keepers have had there flocks euthanized due to ordering eggs from a NPIP place in South Dakota that turned out to test positive for AI, even though there eggs being incubated showed negative as well as their flocks! Same situation as John only they actually went thru with killing their birds. Very sad. Here in Kansas.
sad.png
I hadn't heard they had actually euthanized flocks. I do know that SD sought out all the people that bought the peafowl eggs with the intent to euthanize the flocks but I hadn't read that any actually had been killed. I tried to research this earlier, but only really read about the one guy who got a stay and saved his chickens.
I am needing some advice..

My chickens are pretty crowded right now, waiting on moving the chicks out (8 weeks old now) since my aunt it taking their time building a coop. The mom hen and the aunt had been sharing the raising the last 4 weeks, but this past week the aunt has gone like psycho chicken. She is attacking everyone and even the babies.

Right now she is the only chicken on the main roost, she wont let ANYONE up,even the the other older hens...

5 babies are trying to crowd in with mom into a empty nest box and everyone else is trying to find other roosting spots.

What is going on, could it be due to the overcrowding? I am hoping to get the extra chicks out this weekend.
The hen is just trying to establish dominance. All part of the pecking order. The babies just haven't gotten away from the Mom yet. My broody let her babies go on their own about a week ago. But the babies are still going to sleep where they were under the hen. They'll get it worked out, the other chickens will leave then they'll probably squabble some more.
Welcome @girlsnammo . Jump right in here. Glad to welcome you to the group.
I just checked the eggs under a broody hen that seems to be sitting forever. Finally caught her off the eggs. I found 4 eggs that were bad and 4 that were good and all but one seems about ready to hatch. She might be able to hatch those and raise them. I have another broody right behind her but never catch her off the nest and a third one that is only a couple of weeks in. Problem with the third one is that she is nesting right where I need to move dirt.

Thank you chicken danz, I am looking forward to having fresh eggs in the next couple weeks! Haven't had fresh eggs since I was 7 and on the farm. Took 5 yrs to convince my DH to let me get some and now he sits on the back patio with me to watch them when he is home. He even texts me to see how they are doing. My kids love them too and constantly play with them. With the rising cost of eggs DH finally gave in, expecially since we go through 2 18 packs a week.

Morning everyone! I am very happy to find a thread full of Kansans! I am currently in Wichita but grew up in Abbyville. Had a lot of fun with the Rumford rodeo. They kept some of their horses in the pasture behind our farm when I was growing up. I currently have 6 kids an Airforce husband 3 dogs and 8 chickens.

Welcome, we always like to see new people join in. Feel free to jump in any time, we talk about a little of everything here. I'm originally from Wichita myself, I grew up there & still didn't go far after I married the first time. I lived outside Derby for 23 years till I moved where I am now. We still shop in Wichita every week.

Yea the guy posted on the facebook group of pheasants, peafowl, guinea fowl and quails buy selland chat. Name is David Stauch so is easy to find his post. I don't know that he had chickens, know he had pheasants.

It's heartbreaking though, he said when they came to put down his flock they had 1 more scheduled that day. :(

I have been super busy and then out of cell data for the month. We had to do a 3 day house cleaning spree due to company! Sometimes it's just not worth having folks stay even if they are family! Guess we shouldn't let things go that much but due to health it's hard to keep house meticulous! Blecht! And with animals it's double hard.

I have been trying for disability, had a visit with a condescending piece of work earlier in the week at the health center. She worked in insurance so wasn't even in medical field! Aggravating. She told me no way would u ever qualify just for being diebetic and having asthma. Well I can keep trying. After 30 years of diabetes it does start to drag your energy down. Like to zero!!!

That and been trying to get garden tilled and planted. I am trying but slow process. Would love to have a greenhouse. The way it is I won't have tomatoes til winter!!! :). It was so late due to weather, wet and mega cleaning, and us not bring 100%. Really put me back on chores. Sure would be nice to have a guy around for heavy stuff.

I did get a lot done tho, cut a hole in the back of coop for air flow, the birdies love it! Got coop all clean, then got a few new lovely peahens from kskingbee (oh he sells the best honey too). Since I had them shut up, decided to reseed the back yard, it's so pretty coming up! And taking out this big horrid spires bush that is uncontrolled on the property line. I did about 5 feet, 10 more to go.

My bush removal project: a little way done, what is left to do and progress thus far. What a job taking it clear to the ground!

Welcome we are in Hutchinson! married, 2 kiddos, 2 dogs, a cat, geckos and a a bunch of chickens!

I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my little Araucanas.

Sorry they are a little blurry. They looked good on my phone screen.

I have 6 araucana chicks. 5 are black, one is gray (the one with the hen), 5 are rumpless (the gray one seems to have a bit of a tail, though she won't let me near it), 2 have distinct tufts and a 3rd may have tufts. I gave them some scrambled egg yesterday and they had a great time chasing each other around with it. Think pullet, you all.

Is there any way to sex Araucanas?

It's easy to tell the Breda Fowl. They all have generously feathered feet. (the one on the right) Oh, and 2 of them are gray and one is black. You can tell, they just loved the camera. They are all about 2 weeks old.

@thndrdancr , I noticed that several people mentioned dosing individually. Before I read those comments, I was trying to work out in my mind how I could make sure they all had some water. I finally just decided to sit in the coop for a while and make sure all of the chickens drank. It was fairly easy, because every time they see me take anything out of the coop, or bring something in, they have to come and investigate and try it. It was this way when I brought the medicated water in. The mostly-healthy ones went at it first, then my ailing chicks came in when it was safe and all drank. I had to help our Polish FIND the water (hair--feather--thing), but once I put her down on the water ledge, she drank, too.

All of my birds seem to be doing better today. There are still a couple who are fluffed up a bit, but they are actually more active (especially in eating and drinking). My next steps are to continue medicated them for the remainder of the active infection dosage time, then continue with a small dosage until the oocysts have run their full life-cycle course. And, of course, I need to disinfect the coop just to be sure.

@chicken danz and @coleco , y'all are cracking me UP with the mispronunciation/misspelling thing!
lau.gif
You don't know how many times I've asked the Good Lord to, "PLEASE, Jesus, help me to have prudence not to flip out and correct this person's pronunciation or grammar!" I don't necessarily get too tense about social media issues, because there are SO many typos and grammer issues, that I would have had a nervous breakdown by now if I let them get to me. Newspapers and online news mistakes drive me crazy. Also, books. Nothing stinks more than reading through an amazing book and finding a little ol' typo on page 132.
big_smile.png
I can't even read my hometown newspaper without breaking into a sweat because of typos and general sloppy writing! My husband doesn't escape my pronunciation Nazi, though. He cannot say the word Vietnamese. He says Vietmanese. I privately correct him every time, but I just pray that if he ever speaks to a Vietnamese person, that they will have the patience and grace to look past the guffaw.

@girlsnammo ,
welcome-byc.gif
! I want to extend a hearty welcome to our group. I, too, live in Wichita (Wichita zip code, but outside city limits and technically in the county). I've been doing the chicken thing for less than a year. I am married with four kids. We have 27 chickens. I LOVE the Abbyville Rodeo. Actually, I love rodeos in general, and especially PBR. People use abbreviations for chicken breeds on Backyard Chickens forums, and every time I see the abbreviation PBR (Plymouth Barred Rock) I automatically think Professional Bull Riders. I grew up in Kansas, and (in the past) lived in Hutchinson, Haven, and then between Haven and Yoder. I'm thinking you might like to hunt, based on your handle. I shoot archery and my husband and boys (heck, even my 14-year-old daughter) love all shooting sports. I only know how to use an old 16-gauge, single shot gun in our safe. My husband trained me to use it when we first lived on the farm for safety. I am comfortable shooting it, but I am still more comfortable with my bow.
wink.png

Well, we named another hen this week. Our 8-month-old black Jersey Giant is a sweet, sweet, girl, but she is very vocal--to the point of hilarity. I decided I should name her something that is relevant to New Jersey. I looked up famous people from New Jersey. The only person on the list I knew and liked was Queen Latifah. I've always thought Queen Latifah was hilarious (I especially liked her in the move Rush Hour), and our Jersey's funny, no-nonsense antics made her a good Queen Latifah, I thought. It is so nice to have a name to call her now, because we can now have proper "conversations!"
lol.png

• ashncarson I have a sister that lives in hutch and as a teen we used to "drag" main and hang out by the library and park. We might even know each other! If you know any Snyders thats where I stem from but family includes, Sallee, Koeppen, and White. Theres a bunch more family in hutch but my coffee ain't working yet

• Grain Gypsy yes we do hunt and have several firearms to choose from depending on pourpose. My hubby got a left handed bolt Ruger .308 that I special ordered for his birthday. Him and my oldest boy have bow"s as well. We have a ton of family in hutch so I go there a lot.

Back
Top Bottom