Consolidated Kansas

David, there is now an Atwoods not far from you - at the corner of Andover Rd., & Kellogg. Its the one I shop at most often and is a very nice, clean store - opened about a year ago. Prior to that I had only been to the Derby Atwoods and the difference between them is astounding - especially during Chick Days. At the Derby Atwoods, all they had were the usual RIR, BR's etc, and employees who could care less about their welfare. Andover, on the other hand, had bins full of different types of poultry - keets, poults, ducklings, goslings and chicks. And they had a wide variety of chicks - Brabanters, La Fleche, Silkies, Sultans, Marans - in addition to the more common chicks. They were clean, well-cared for, and the employees were knowledgeable and caring.

David, there is now an Atwoods not far from you - at the corner of Andover Rd., & Kellogg. Its the one I shop at most often and is a very nice, clean store - opened about a year ago. Prior to that I had only been to the Derby Atwoods and the difference between them is astounding - especially during Chick Days. At the Derby Atwoods, all they had were the usual RIR, BR's etc, and employees who could care less about their welfare. Andover, on the other hand, had bins full of different types of poultry - keets, poults, ducklings, goslings and chicks. And they had a wide variety of chicks - Brabanters, La Fleche, Silkies, Sultans, Marans - in addition to the more common chicks. They were clean, well-cared for, and the employees were knowledgeable and caring.

Do you happen to know when the Atwoods in Andover holds their Chick Days?

X2-- you barely have to get out of Wichita to get to an Atwoods-- Derby and Andover. :)

Not the precise dates. I was in there this past weekend and they weren't even setting up the bins yet
sad.png
I know that around the 2nd-3rd week of Feb a couple of years ago the Derby Atwoods already had chicks though, so I'm thinking by the end of this month for sure.

I can keep you posted if you like. I go past there at least once a week and will be stopping in often to check so as soon as I see them setting up (or when an employee gives me a definite date) I'll let you know.

Not the precise dates. I was in there this past weekend and they weren't even setting up the bins yet
sad.png
I know that around the 2nd-3rd week of Feb a couple of years ago the Derby Atwoods already had chicks though, so I'm thinking by the end of this month for sure.

I can keep you posted if you like. I go past there at least once a week and will be stopping in often to check so as soon as I see them setting up (or when an employee gives me a definite date) I'll let you know.

Derby had them last year the 3rd week of the month. I can't hardly wait! I want to see what is available so I can decide where to get chicks. Please let us know when Andover starts setting up the bins.

Last edited:
I was at orchelens in manhattan last week and it looked like they were starting to stock heat lamps and chick stuff near where they put their bins. I have a feeling it won't be to many weeks before the farm stores get started.

I go to Atwoods nearly twice a week. Usually something for the horses, the barn, chickens, whatever. Sigh. Anyway, I DID notice that if anyone wants to stock up on VetRX-- they have it!!!! And it's only $8 a bottle!! BTW--- previously you could ONLY buy this online and the cheapest I found it (after a couple days of searching) was $6 for the bottle and $6 for shipping with a grand total of $12. I had talked to Atwoods about stocking VetRX and then complained a few more times to the workers and finally one time to the manager! SO glad that they ordered it!! I'm going to buy another bottle and keep it on hand. You just never know! :) I also asked them the other day to start carrying Pinless Peepers because I had to order them and they were really expensive, but who knows if they will. But I love them there-- they are all so very nice. There is one lady, though, that I avoid. She is just grumpy. LOL

One of the people that had spoken for a pup wrote me last night and has backed out. I hate that. I try to hold pups for people and turn other people down and then end up with another pup to sell. When I bought Fluff I had to send a deposit 4 weeks ahead of time to hold him. This was a site unseen thing but I described what I wanted and I think it came out quite well. I know this person and they are great. It was just work hours and the economy that made him back out. He has one of my previous pups and loves that dog with a passion. Still now I'm not sure how many I have sold. I guess when the pups are gone they are gone.

Back
Top Bottom