Consolidated Kansas

Ooops. Forgot to include this link. The video I saw that I pretty much based my design on.

I want to warn you that black tarps will collect heat at an unfathomable rate in the summer, and your birds will be as hot or hotter in the shade under it- trust me, I found out the hard way!

Also, many of the reflective tarps give off fumes when they get too hot, so the silver coated ones aren't the best, either. I have had excellent luck using the white vinyl banners with grommets that sign companies make- and if you contact one you may be able to pick up old banners like I did- they're spectacular and designed for UV exposure, rugged, etc.

I posted pics of my PVC pen on the KPS facebook. I haven't found my drawings or parts list. I may have tossed them. Take a look. This is more of a part time structure but very handy to hold birds for a short time or to move around if you don't want them free ranging every where.

Verna, I really like your pen, that could come in pretty handy I think. Do you remember about how much it cost you to make it? I did send an email to your daughter by the way, I hope she doesn't mind.

checoukan, has there been anything from your sister yet? I hope everything is going all right.

Ugh, it's cold here today, I sure am missing those 50 & 60 degree days! I know we have not had a bad winter at all, but still I'm more than ready for spring & being able to get out & do the things I want to do outside like building. We have a shed & foundation for it sitting in the garage right now taking up my DH's side waiting for decent weather to work on getting it put up. We were afraid that Sam's was going to sell out of this shed we wanted because they only get so many each year & we waited too late last year & they were gone. It's a plastic shed to keep our firewood in closer to the house & keep it dry. We're going to put it up next to the garage, which is metal, so it won't bother it to have wood next to it. We didn't know until we got the shed home that we would need a foundation for it, so we went yesterday & bought treated wood to build that with. Now we need some good weather again to get it done. At least all we have to build is the foundation part & then it's a matter of putting the thing together. I hope it goes together well because my DH has no patience whatsoever.

Verna, I really like your pen, that could come in pretty handy I think. Do you remember about how much it cost you to make it? I did send an email to your daughter by the way, I hope she doesn't mind.

checoukan, has there been anything from your sister yet? I hope everything is going all right.

Ugh, it's cold here today, I sure am missing those 50 & 60 degree days! I know we have not had a bad winter at all, but still I'm more than ready for spring & being able to get out & do the things I want to do outside like building. We have a shed & foundation for it sitting in the garage right now taking up my DH's side waiting for decent weather to work on getting it put up. We were afraid that Sam's was going to sell out of this shed we wanted because they only get so many each year & we waited too late last year & they were gone. It's a plastic shed to keep our firewood in closer to the house & keep it dry. We're going to put it up next to the garage, which is metal, so it won't bother it to have wood next to it. We didn't know until we got the shed home that we would need a foundation for it, so we went yesterday & bought treated wood to build that with. Now we need some good weather again to get it done. At least all we have to build is the foundation part & then it's a matter of putting the thing together. I hope it goes together well because my DH has no patience whatsoever.

How much is this shed you are talking about? Lowes is out of the one I want and won't be getting anymore in until late spring and I need it soon.

Thanks for the update on Ivy and family. I do hope they find the problem soon.
Trish I think it cost me about $150 to build. It could be slightly higher now. I bought my plastic pipe at a pipe dealer and saved a bunch over cost in the stores. I ordered my special fittings from US Plastics. They were the cheapest after shipping costs. If you can stand working with the chicken wire it will hold up a lot better than that plastic chicken wire for the top. I would probably do it now with my knotted netting I use over all my pens. You could also use hardware cloth around the bottom but that would be about 50 feet by 3 ' for that. The extra length would allow for wrapping around corners, gate posts etc. It would cost a little more. There's lots of things you could customize to work for you. I used a electric miter saw to cut my pipe. This is something you need to use caution with (pipe tends to slip around and jump if not held secure) but sure speeds up the cutting.
The only problem I have had with the pen is trying to catch birds in it. It means getting down pretty low and my bender doesn't bend all that well any more. Other than that it's been wonderful.
The reason I originally built it was for a moveable free range pen so I could move the birds from area to area to forage. I've used it for just about everything but that.

Danz- did you see where somebody on the KSBST facebook page was looking for a GP pup for their goats? You might try them if you need to get an extra pup sold.

ETA: I hope they find out whats going on with Ivy's DH soon, keeping them in my thoughts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom