Consolidated Kansas

Speaking of TV shows.. I just saw a preview for a new show on A&E called "Duck Dynasty". Dunno if I want to watch. Just the description of the show makes me want to scream.

ERIES FOLLOWS BACKWOODS MULTIMILLION-DOLLAR FAMILY RUNNING A DUCK-CALL EMPIRE ON THE LOUISIANA BAYOU
PREMIERES WEDNESDAY, MARCH 21 AT 10PM ET/PT
A&E Network introduces the Robertsons, a Louisiana bayou family living the American dream as they operate a thriving business while staying true to their family values and lifestyle. "Duck Dynasty" premieres Wednesday, March 21 at 10PM ET/PT on A&E.
Ask anyone in Louisiana and they'll tell you that the bayou state's favorite first family doesn't live in the governor's mansion but in the backwoods, where the Robertsons' rags-to-riches story is still unfolding. A homegrown mom-and-pop operation, Duck Commander has become a sporting empire by fabricating top-of-the-line duck calls and decoys out of salvaged swamp wood.
This newly minted multimillionaire family is kept in line by business-savvy Willie, who runs Duck Commander with the help of his brother Jase, their respective wives Korie and Missy, patriarch and founder of the company, Phil, and uncle Si. Together they run a booming business that employs half their neighborhood, but at the end of the day, you can find the whole family around matriarch Miss Kay's dinner table.
Each episode brings a new set of challenges, met with a special brand of Southern know-how and a down-home sense of humor. In the premiere episode Willie, CEO of Duck Commander, catches his crew constructing a testing facility to experiment with new duck calls at the warehouse. Only problem is, their makeshift pond is a flooded loading dock filled with ducks.
"Duck Dynasty" is produced for A&E Networks by Gurney Productions. Executive producers for Gurney Productions are Deirdre Gurney, Scott Gurney and Joe Weinstock. Executive producers for A&E are David McKillop, Elaine Frontain Bryant and Lily Neumeyer.

Will they ever stop with the reality shows? Problem is, most of them have nothing to do with reality. Hey, if I had a show about raising chickens on a low grade budget that paid me $75,000 an episode like most of these people get per episode, it would be no problem providing housing and feed for them. So there goes the show! Sure wish I could convince them to make a show about me. I'd even comb mt hair before I went out to care for the birds for a change!
yippiechickie.gif

I do like the haulin' show. These people must make some money off the show cause they sure don't make it on the hauling. It kind of reminds me of some of my bargain hunting. I buy stuff at a great price but spend a fortune getting it here. Only I never hire any one. It is always me and DH that try to do things alone. One of our favorite sayings is, "Road trip!" We've hauled a little of everything for sure and none of it has gone like we had planned.
Those however, are some great memories. I kind of regret the fact I am being more sensible about stuff these days.

Danz - sorry to hear about the bronchitis but glad you are now on treatment for it. Hopefully you'll be feeling much improved very quickly. I've only had it a couple of times but the meds seem pretty effective.

Speaking of peacocks, ours gave us a great display this afternoon. Well, he's not technically "ours". He just showed up at our barn about a year ago and never left. We haven't made any attempt to contain him yet he hangs around - its rare to spend an hour at the barn without a sighting. He roosts in the trees at night and our barn manager bought some gamebird feed and leaves it out in a bowl for him. At first the horses were terrified of him but quickly became accustomed to him hanging out on the rails of their pens and turnout pasture. He seems particularly fond of one mare - a paint - and was displaying for her beautifully this afternoon when we went to feed. I've never heard him make the typical peacock call - perhaps because there are no peahens around - but boy does he honk when one of the dogs startles him. And yes, he does fly very well. He takes off if a dog gets too close and perches quite high in a tree to honk at them.

Trish - sorry about the computer issues - I wondered why we hadn't heard from you for a day or two.

Hawkeye, on the salt test, when I first did this, after 12 hours it was showing that my hygrometer was off by about 5%. I decided to go ahead and leave it for the full 24 hours and by then it was reading spot on. That was enough for me to decide to always do the full 24 hours. Mine is only a cheapo from Walmart so perhaps yours being a super duper good one, four hours will be enough though.

Danz - sorry to hear about the bronchitis but glad you are now on treatment for it. Hopefully you'll be feeling much improved very quickly. I've only had it a couple of times but the meds seem pretty effective.

Speaking of peacocks, ours gave us a great display this afternoon. Well, he's not technically "ours". He just showed up at our barn about a year ago and never left. We haven't made any attempt to contain him yet he hangs around - its rare to spend an hour at the barn without a sighting. He roosts in the trees at night and our barn manager bought some gamebird feed and leaves it out in a bowl for him. At first the horses were terrified of him but quickly became accustomed to him hanging out on the rails of their pens and turnout pasture. He seems particularly fond of one mare - a paint - and was displaying for her beautifully this afternoon when we went to feed. I've never heard him make the typical peacock call - perhaps because there are no peahens around - but boy does he honk when one of the dogs startles him. And yes, he does fly very well. He takes off if a dog gets too close and perches quite high in a tree to honk at them.

Trish - sorry about the computer issues - I wondered why we hadn't heard from you for a day or two.

Hawkeye, on the salt test, when I first did this, after 12 hours it was showing that my hygrometer was off by about 5%. I decided to go ahead and leave it for the full 24 hours and by then it was reading spot on. That was enough for me to decide to always do the full 24 hours. Mine is only a cheapo from Walmart so perhaps yours being a super duper good one, four hours will be enough though.

Nope, I'm only 5 hours into my salt test and it's still not right. It's reading 61%. I'm going to leave it until tomorrow. I don't think this is a super duper one... just a regular one. ha! I only paid $25 for it. It had really great reviews with it where people checked it against other equipment and it had something like 100 reviews on it where people said it was right on. It's just that there were sooo many where people said they hated them, it was tough to find one with a decent price and a great review. Anyway, I did see the really expensive ones-- for like $120-- that's a little more than I want, and their calibration was a lot different than a salt test.
wink.png

Danz, sure hope you'll be feeling better in a couple of days. Good thing you saw the Dr today-- that could have ended up pretty nasty. I'll nominate you for a reality show! LOL Maybe you can afford your nice big bird barn, then. ;)

It is driving me crazy. I can't seem to get the website to e-mail me when new posts are made to the thread. I even eliminated all my subscriptions and re-subscribed to this one. I told it to let me know immediately. No joy.

Does ANYONE have any idea what I have to do on this new platform to get subscriptions to work?

Sharol

Hey Ivy nice photo of your husband with the dogs. They are beautiful. Hope they find out what is going on with your husband and get it fixed. Danz I sure am glad you finally made it to the doctor. It was sounding like you were already going into pneumonia. Not much on my end. Looked up the necropsy lab online to see if I could find any information before I called. The info was that the necropsy is usually done in 5-10 days for a general one so hope I hear from them soon. I put a colored serama in with the lone white rooster so he would have a companion until I get a white female. After he pecked her in the head a few times, he finally settled down. My call duck that had set on eggs for the day got off when it started getting cold and misting. I went out and got the eggs-she would have never made it-there were 13 in there.

It is driving me crazy. I can't seem to get the website to e-mail me when new posts are made to the thread. I even eliminated all my subscriptions and re-subscribed to this one. I told it to let me know immediately. No joy.

Does ANYONE have any idea what I have to do on this new platform to get subscriptions to work?

Sharol

You probably tried these already, but it's worth a shot. If you go into your "subscriptions" & click the option to "Edit My Subscriptions" there is a "Frequency" box next to each of the threads/forums you subscribe to. You can select whether or not you want to receive notifications: immediately, once per day/week/month or not at all (site only). Try changing the frequency to "immediate" to see what happens. When I first setup my account & added a few descriptions they defaulted to "immediate" & I was getting emails like crazy. I ended up shutting all mine off to "site only" just to keep my mailbox less cluttered. Also, check you profile settings to make sure your email address is correct. There are also a number of options that allow you to set "defaults" for notifications & such.
Not sure any of these will get you any closer to what you want, but it's worth a try. Good Luck!

Sharol, I was going to say the exact same thing as wichitakidd. I had to turn mine off because my box was flooded with emails. Sometimes it was doubling them up even! I just now view them onsite as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have reset the subscription in the list to immediate with no improvement. I get an e-mail occasionally, but now even that seems to be shut down. I've even added the address to my address book so it wouldn't get dumped into spam.

Will they ever stop with the reality shows? Problem is, most of them have nothing to do with reality. Hey, if I had a show about raising chickens on a low grade budget that paid me $75,000 an episode like most of these people get per episode, it would be no problem providing housing and feed for them. So there goes the show! Sure wish I could convince them to make a show about me. I'd even comb mt hair before I went out to care for the birds for a change!
yippiechickie.gif

I do like the haulin' show. These people must make some money off the show cause they sure don't make it on the hauling. It kind of reminds me of some of my bargain hunting. I buy stuff at a great price but spend a fortune getting it here. Only I never hire any one. It is always me and DH that try to do things alone. One of our favorite sayings is, "Road trip!" We've hauled a little of everything for sure and none of it has gone like we had planned.
Those however, are some great memories. I kind of regret the fact I am being more sensible about stuff these days.

I'm game for a TV show, "the kansas small scale poultry breeders" lol. I think I'd be happy with $1,000 an episode. Hey if the swamp people can do it why can't we!?

Back
Top Bottom