Consolidated Kansas

Danz, that's just TOO CUTE!!!

Hawkeye, google Yokohama chicken. They're one of the long tail breeds. Or, check out the thread on here about most handsome rooster--Maki may not be show quality, but he sure is nifty. He's on my blog too--look for the post A Dream Come True.
droolin.gif

Well just let me know. I have them out in the garage where it is cool. They should have a couple more in the next day or two. One of my geese is a smooth breasted, one is a lavendar, and the other two are white so the only colors as I understand it is white, smooth or curly, or lavendar ice.

shotah, I hope you get that, wow that would be great! I would have gone for it if it had been closer to me. It looks really well made & sturdy.

My new rabbits are settling in fine. I will have to move the buck when it warms up a little again because I need to put my other cage out there, but it's too darned cold today.

Danz, what you have sounds just like what I used to get every year -- pneumonia. The first year was the worst because I didn't know to switch antibiotics if I didn't improve quickly. Besides, for some reason I always think I'm just imagining my illness!
hmm.png
(Like anything that miserable could be imaginary -- Duh!) Anyway, I just kept doing what had to be done and taking the same antibiotic and ultimately ended up on a really high-dose antibiotic and had to go to the Doctor's office daily for steroid I.V. They would have put me in hospital but I was stubborn since I had 8 kids to look after. It took me forever to feel like myself again. I vote you go back to the Doctor ASAP. Just really concerned for you.

Ivy, glad your DH is okay. Hope he stays that way. Thanks for the advice re: the waterers. I had them up on wood blocks, just not high enough. I've switched all the food to the chick feeders and have five of them so they can spread out better. The feed and water is now outside of the light box so they have more sleeping space. I added one more small waterer and that seems to be fine today. Tomorrow I'm going to put up the larger waterers and use marbles to help keep the smallest ones from bathing.
smile.png
I've enjoyed catching up on everyone -- you cracked me up! I'm not hatching but I can relate to the anxiety. Kitty and duck are soooo cute.

Hawkeye, I'm learning from your hatching experience. So sorry it's not going quite right.

Trish, happy to hear you got your bunnies. Sounds like things may be getting even dicier outside. I guess winter had to show up eventually, but I was sure hoping we were going to skip it this year. At least we're finally getting some moisture.

So here's the newbie with lots of new chicks report. I've been really busy keeping up with my chicks! Sadly, I lost one of the 75 Mt. Healthy, SSussex chicks to unknown causes. All the others are doing really well. They came home last Thursday and, wow, do they grow fast! I love just watching and listening to them.

I was supposed to receive 44 from McMurray today or tomorrow. They came yesterday! We were getting ready to go to the grandparents' home for movie night and got the call around 4:30 in the afternoon. No big deal, we just scrambled a little faster. The chicks came by truck and arrived the first day they were born. They were at the USPS by the Wichita airport so we dashed out there and back and got them all settled in with the others by 6:00 pm. When we got home at 10, I went out to change the water and clean the feeders. By then, one SSussex had had his poor little toes pecked bloody, from the stress of adding the new chicks? I don't know. Also one chick who was recovering from pasty butt had been pecked, but not badly, on the bottom. I cleaned them up, used the purple stuff I got from Atwood's in case of picking, and put them back with the others.

I had some red bulbs, just in case, so I changed the clear ones for red and it was remarkable how the chicks all immediately calmed right down. Amazing how it calmed me down too!
cool.png

Okay, so back to the McMurray chicks. Six of them had expired
hit.gif
when we picked them up. There were 3 extras, but naturally, it was some of the kid's bantams. Heavy sigh. I'll have to replace them, as soon as I can figure out exactly who expired. That's a project for another day.

Stay warm!

Patricia, I really like the curlies. Color doesn't matter. I'm not into showing birds. I just like the pretty ones. I will check the whites tomorrow and send you a PM.
Well Candace and her husband just left. They took 10 guineas, a trio of polish, and a pair of pheasants. It was he who wanted the pheasants. I love it when the men get involved! At any rate it was nice and I made a little more money than I had earlier. At least we should be 10 guineas quieter around here now.
Hawkeye I had a Yokohama and it was a beautiful bird. Mine was the solid white one. The problem was it was always so flighty and jumpy I could never get close to it. I finally just sold it for a little of nothing at a swap meet. It didn't seem to get along very well with the other breeds either. I suppose if you had a group of them altogether it would be better.
I've had enough cold air for one day but I am feeling fairly good right now.

Last edited:
KarenS I've had pneumonia several times. I was really starting to fear I was getting there, but this evening I am feeling better. So maybe that crap is breaking up. I have been coughing all the way to my toes for sure. I told my DH earlier that I had to keep my bladder empty or it was going to be become a problem coughing that deep. I'm cooking Marshmallow a chicken for dinner and I could actually smell it some this afternoon. I may have to go get another round of antibiotics to clear this completely but at least I think they are working finally.
I nearly died from pneumonia one time. It was pretty darned scary. It took me over three months before my lungs cleared. I had an extended hospital stay but it was still a couple months later before it was all gone. I had to use my nebulizer every three hours or I couldn't breath at all. My asthma was really out of control then too which just complicated matters.

Wow- I got really behind so I had to just skim.
Danz- I was glad to see the pics of your cat and duckling. You know I'm not generally a cat fan, but I do wish they were all like yours.
My only problem is that bird freindly cats, like yours, tend to be few and far between. I'm always happy to see/ meet a good cat!

Back
Top Bottom