Consolidated Kansas

My newest addition to the flock Buff Brahma roo!!! Got him tonight after driving 55 miles in 60 mph wind rain and hail. Even had to pull over once because it was raining so hard i couldnt see the highway, LOL !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I *think* so. I've scritched them behind the neck and in front of the tail and do it almost kind of rough like a rooster would. They always keep squatting as long as I'm touching them and even after I remove my hand, they keep squatting like they're saying "is that all ya got? THAT didn't feel like the real thing?" until I walk away from them. LOL. Mind you, I only have a couple that squat for me at all - mostly my BO's. Which is weird because they are the two on the top of the pecking order but the rest never squat at all.

Hmmm Idk then. I usually kinda tug on their neck feathers real quick, give them a hard scritch on the back and pet them all the way up to the tip of the tail. Then they shake and walk off.

My newest addition to the flock Buff Brahma roo!!! Got him tonight after driving 55 miles in 60 mph wind rain and hail. Even had to pull over once because it was raining so hard i couldnt see the highway, LOL !!!!!!!!!

He's gorgeous! Hey - at least you'll never forget your trip to get him!

Hmmm Idk then. I usually kinda tug on their neck feathers real quick, give them a hard scritch on the back and pet them all the way up to the tip of the tail. Then they shake and walk off.

Ahh okay - I'll try doing all of that and see if it pleases them.

It sounds like everyone is getting Spring Fever pretty badly- I know I am, too.

WichitaKidd and all others in that area or on the way: I'll be heading to Wichita one week from tomorrow (Tuesday) and will bring chicks/eggs for anyone who is willing to commit to them. I can't bring stuff to browse, as I've got to work and can't make leftovers wait all day in the car at this age.

I have Blue/Splash Silkies, Blue Rocks, Black Rocks (the Rocks are Sparky Crows's birds), Black Orps, Frizzles, Bantam Cochins, and a few other odds and ends. PM with questions and details. In eggs, I'll have Chanteclers, Orps, South Americans, Bantam Cochins, d'Uccles, Frizzles, and possibly some Konzas. You can find info on all of these birds by clicking the Icon in my signature and looking at each breed/color. If there's someone in this area with eggs/birds you want, I'll chauffer.

Ivy- how is that yellow chick looking?

Danz- praying for your parents. I'm very sorry they aren't well.

Suzanne & Elizabeth- WELCOME!! Always happy to see more folks joining us.

HEchicken- how is the knee healing? Not so sore now, I hope.

tntblake- I ruffle them as if I'm ruffling a little brother's hair. They think they're taken care of, shake, and walk away. Goofy things.

Checoukan- That dude has the biggest earrings I've seen on a Rosecomb- at least in comparison to his size! Gorgeous bling!

Hawkeye- I had a herd of juvenile Marans charge at me like that tonight! Sooooooooo relieved to have a mama there to save them!!

BrahmaBoy- that guy is studly!!

Everyone else, I'm exhausted, have to be in KC at 5am, and I'm crashing, so I'll catch up with you later!

Ok... to better explain my "farm rental" situation... I don't pay rent I just agreed to feed take care of their 2 horses, 3 dogs, their ~72 ducks and chickens, and the 4 cats (if the cats need anything) so they can leave town if they want or need to, in exchange for them letting me keeps birds and possibly rabbits out there. I also volintarily help her husband with all of those things almost every day. I don't think I could play the card you suggested, hawkeye, because she's been through alot of health problems in the last 2 years and she would try to get her husband, who I'm pretty freindly with, to do it and make him mad at me in the process.

I did gain some ground today I don't have to move the "d*** hutch", lol. It's kind of an eye sore right now and she agreed to let it stay where it is if I paint it and fix it up, which I'd planned on anyway. I also eliminated her concerns about sunlight because my wife talked my kids into bunnies instead of silkie chicks last night at orschelns and I pointed out to the "land lady that it would be a great spot for rabbits, being so shady. Rabbits weren't in the original game plan but, o well. I told her DH about my concerns with her "running my operation" today and he somewhat empathized so a bought some more time at the least. From the way hubby talked her alot of bark and not much bite so we'll see what happens. I may just get an ear full everytime a new pen goes in and be somewhat set other wise.

I talked to the lady brahma boy got his new roo from on the phone this morning, very nice btw, and I'm going to buy 2 roos from her. I need to figure out what I'm going to do with one, he's kind of to make my "buddy" jelous, he's screwed me over on the hutch and the OE trio I bought from him and I know he'll want the rumpless. I'm going to sell a pair out of my oe trio and put the serama X roo with the remaining hen. If I can find another 3-5 hens/pullets that will compliment the genetics of these roos I might try to buy some up in a couple months.

In alot of ways I'm glad to see this forum growing by leaps and bounds but buy the time I finnish reading all the way up I forget all but the last couple pages, lol.

I don't think my birds are near POL yet, and them kind of crouching down last night before the storm fully hit-- it wasn't the "breeding" crouch-- it was the 'holy heck get me out of here!' --and here, I'll make it easy on you! hehee!! Danz was correct in what my birds were thinking. ;)

Funny Renee that you had the same thing happen with your marans! I think everyone was just glad they weren't alone out there. My escapees just made it super easy on me to get them back in their pen.

Ritter, sounds like maybe you can make things work out. If the hutch is an eye sore, then I can understand her concern with you fixing it up. Rabbits sound fun! Those are pretty easy to come by, too. :)

So last night, we had some really high winds and it knocked my dog panels over that were acting as my pen! Yikes! I went out there in the dark to see what happened and it's upside down. Even with the flashlight, I didn't get a good view. I'll have to hope there's no damage this morning when I get a chance to see it in the day light. I'm going to go pick up some ground ties and stake the whole thing down into the ground today. That was barely a storm last night-- I can only imagine what our Springs storms will do! Sigh.
sad.png

Good morning everyone!

Sorry to hear about the "destruction" Hawkeye! I hope it all goes back up quickly. At least you know what to look for when staking it back up, so you might be able to secure them more.

Storm wasn't too bad in lawrence last night, but just as i was getting ready for bed - about 9:30 - our power went out. ARGGG. Apparently someone hit a pole. We had just started out night routine, so all of that got put on hold until it came back on at 11p.m. Couldn't just finish and go to bed cuz of course all the lights in the house were on and we had to reset the clocks and alarms. I'm exhausted. I need more than 5 1/2 hours of sleep at night. LOL

Brahma Boy! What a beautiful bird!!! Gonna give him a cool name like hurricaine or storm? LOL :)

Danz - how is your mom doing this morning?

Hawkeye - sorry about the pen - hope all is well when you get out and can see it in daylight.

Tweety - sorry about the power outage. I think I would have been inclined to just turn the light switches to the off position and set an alarm on my phone, then go to bed, rather than lose so much sleep!

It looks like a gorgeous morning today - looking forward to getting off work and getting some outside stuff done.

Back
Top Bottom