Consolidated Kansas

I hope everyone's kids get well soon, that's the pits to have sick children.

Me too! Sounds like a lot of people are having a tough time.

Hawkeye, I'll keep my fingers crossed for your DH's job. My brother works in a field where his job is often in jeopardy; it's not a fun way to live. On the up side, that Garden Coop is fantastic. No wonder you've had your eye on it!

Hawkeye, that is an absolutely adorable coop, it's too small for all of my chickens, but so cute though. I don't think that regulation on chickens is current because I have seen ads on Craigslist for people selling chickens & they had a lot more than that. The yard looked like it was in town anyway. In Winfield they don't allow chickens any more at all except for it says in the ordinance that you can own one chicken for 4H or the fair, ONE. Imagine having one chicken how ridiculous is that? They quit allowing any poultry in town in 2007. I'm sure glad I don't live in town!

Well I got some things moved around so i could get one more stack of rabbit cages in there, so that will cover the ones I have & room for my pair of Mini Rex I'm wanting. Now I have to find the room for the brooder to get it set up. I'm thinking I may have an idea for where to put my chicken & rabbit supplies, in the new shed for the firewood. It has some shelves in there & the wood shouldn't take up the whole shed, so hopefully I can find some room to store some of that stuff in there. I don't know what my DH is going to think about that, but if I can make it neat enough he might not complain too loud. At least it would get a few things out of the garage.

Well I talked to the husband at the farm today and he has no problem letting me use half of a 10'x20' chain link kennel for 2 or 3 weeks. then I've got to build something new. Verna it sounds like quite the pet you've got there, I'd buy him up too but I've got enough animals coming home this weekend, can't have him at my house and I'm sure the land lady wouldn't want him crossing up her snowys. Other wise I'm a sucker with a soft heart. Our orshelens got chicks in yesterday but thankfully nothing I want right now, mainly mixed LF pullets and meat birds, I think I'll beable to restrain my self to bantams and that way I can have more birds for my aloted space and save a little on pen construction.

Cute coop Hawkeye. If I could make that times 1000 it would be just right for me!
I left the baby duck in with the smaller ducks most of the afternoon yesterday and all night. He was hollering for me this morning. So he is back in his normal position on my lap.
I sure missed being out on a beautiful day yesterday. Looks like today will be a bit uncomfortable and windy.
We had a nice dinner with my Mom and Dad and she was actually feeling fairly decent last night. I couldn't find a thing she could use but bought her a nice pot of Hyacynths that were blooming just beautifully. I added a bow and they looked great.
I gave her a set of really high quality sheets. I had actually purchased them for my spare bed but at least she can have some nice sheets since she spends so much time laying down. And I didn't have to drive a couple hours to get them.
I really do need to get some shopping out of the way but DH will be off tomorrow so I imagine we will go somewhere then. Use his gas instead of mine! I'd much rather go alone cause he takes too long and I just like to get done and get home, but I am stingy.

Your little coop is coming along nicely Hawkeye - I'm really impressed.

I haven't made it to Atwoods yet. Amn't I a model of self-restraint - tee-hee???? Actually, yesterday just got busy with a post-op appt for DD, followed by a funeral and then dinner with the family and....I was gone from the house but nowhere near an Atwoods all day.

I started thinking I might head there after I get off work this morning, until DD reminded me she has a half day of school today so I have to head the opposite direction to go pick her up. Plus, I can't find my chick feeders and waterers. Grrr. There is a set of shelves in the basement where I keep ALL pet supplies that are not in use, but they're not there. None of them. I suspect DH, who is very good at organizing stuff and putting it places that make sense to him but I can never find them afterward. But when I asked him, he had no memory of putting them anywhere. Par for the course. I really don't want to have to buy more so may have to rig something until they show up. I have some ceramic bowls for my snakes drinking water, so as long as I fill them with marbles first, those should work for water for the first couple of weeks.

But now I don't know when I'm even going to get there to GET the chicks. DD said she wants to come with me this weekend but I'm afraid by then the pickings will be slim and I'm starting to think maybe I need to wait until next week's delivery. What do y'all think?

Tonya - regarding brooding indoors. After posting that, it did occur to me that your realtor might prefer not to show the house with brooding chicks in it. I dunno. I figure if a buyer can't figure out that the things IN the house at the time they're looking will be GONE by the time they move in, well, maybe they shouldn't be looking at real estate. But realtors always seem real concerned about making a place look as neutral/non-lived in as possible. Me? When I'm looking at houses I kinda like seeing photos of the family that lives there up on the wall - makes it feel like I'm looking at someone's home and not just a building - but maybe I'm not like most people?

When I looked at houses I walked through thinking of everything I was going to change and the material things that were there didn't even catch my eye. I would be alarmed if the place reeked of dirty dog or massive chick poop. I think if you keep the brooder area clean which you should do any way, what would it hurt? Who doesn't love a baby chick? But by the same token I can almost bet your realtor would prefer they be elsewhere. You never know chicks might seal the deal!

I am asking for prayers for SeramasLovers.(Jenny). She hasn't posted much, or for a while, but I keep in contact with her. She is the backbone of the family, takes care of a 3 year old daughter, a sister, her husband and her mother. She nearly died from pneumonia and is still not recovered. During the course of checking her lungs they discovered a heart problem with a poor prognosis. She is not doing well at all and needs all the help she can get. Please remember her and wish her well. I love this gal to pieces, and it makes me cry to think of what she is going through and her fears right now. Hawkeye she is really scared of not recovering. I think you could really give her some inspiration with what you've been through.

Last edited:
I am asking for prayers for SeramasLovers.(Jenny). She hasn't posted much, or for a while, but I keep in contact with her. She is the backbone of the family, takes care of a 3 year old daughter, a sister, her husband and her mother. She nearly died from pneumonia and is still not recovered. During the course of checking her lungs they discovered a heart problem with a poor prognosis. She is not doing well at all and needs all the help she can get. Please remember her and wish her well. I love this gal to pieces, and it makes me cry to think of what she is going through and her fears right now. Hawkeye she is really scared of not recovering. I think you could really give her some inspiration with what you've been through.

OH wow, I hadn't thought much of not seeing her around! I think I did initially, but then forgot. I will definitely pray for her! How did they miss a heart condition all these years? Or is it degenerative? I'm so very sorry to hear that she is so ill. I hope she finds her way to the Kansas Heart Hospital-- that is going to be her best bet here. Less likely to get infection after surgery and better post op care, for sure! And in all seriousness, her dh NEEDS to take a CPR class if something happens so he can do compressions, etc while waiting for the ambulance. My DH stays up to date on that for me. It's best to be prepared and think ahead when you know something could happen. Like I said, I'll pray for her.

Hawkeye, that is an absolutely adorable coop, it's too small for all of my chickens, but so cute though. I don't think that regulation on chickens is current because I have seen ads on Craigslist for people selling chickens & they had a lot more than that. The yard looked like it was in town anyway. In Winfield they don't allow chickens any more at all except for it says in the ordinance that you can own one chicken for 4H or the fair, ONE. Imagine having one chicken how ridiculous is that? They quit allowing any poultry in town in 2007. I'm sure glad I don't live in town!

Well I got some things moved around so i could get one more stack of rabbit cages in there, so that will cover the ones I have & room for my pair of Mini Rex I'm wanting. Now I have to find the room for the brooder to get it set up. I'm thinking I may have an idea for where to put my chicken & rabbit supplies, in the new shed for the firewood. It has some shelves in there & the wood shouldn't take up the whole shed, so hopefully I can find some room to store some of that stuff in there. I don't know what my DH is going to think about that, but if I can make it neat enough he might not complain too loud. At least it would get a few things out of the garage.
I think that is bizarre that an ordinance would only allow for ONE bird-- when most people understand they are 'herd/flock' animals. I wonder what idiot dreamed up that one. I love that garden coop! So cute! I would love for someone I know to build it-- I think it's amazing. I hope you get your spaces figured out. Sounds to me like you need your shed back. ;)

Cute coop Hawkeye. If I could make that times 1000 it would be just right for me!
I left the baby duck in with the smaller ducks most of the afternoon yesterday and all night. He was hollering for me this morning. So he is back in his normal position on my lap.
I sure missed being out on a beautiful day yesterday. Looks like today will be a bit uncomfortable and windy.
We had a nice dinner with my Mom and Dad and she was actually feeling fairly decent last night. I couldn't find a thing she could use but bought her a nice pot of Hyacynths that were blooming just beautifully. I added a bow and they looked great.
I gave her a set of really high quality sheets. I had actually purchased them for my spare bed but at least she can have some nice sheets since she spends so much time laying down. And I didn't have to drive a couple hours to get them.
I really do need to get some shopping out of the way but DH will be off tomorrow so I imagine we will go somewhere then. Use his gas instead of mine! I'd much rather go alone cause he takes too long and I just like to get done and get home, but I am stingy.
It started off pretty nice this morning, actually! When I dropped the little ones off, I didn't even wear my coat. Then, I hung out at my coffee shop while they were in preschool and during that time-- the cloud cover came in and the temperature dropped. And now the wind is INSANE!!! I'm glad you all had a good time at your mom and dad's. I think flowers and sheets are perfect for someone that has it all. :)

Your little coop is coming along nicely Hawkeye - I'm really impressed.

I haven't made it to Atwoods yet. Amn't I a model of self-restraint - tee-hee???? Actually, yesterday just got busy with a post-op appt for DD, followed by a funeral and then dinner with the family and....I was gone from the house but nowhere near an Atwoods all day.

But now I don't know when I'm even going to get there to GET the chicks. DD said she wants to come with me this weekend but I'm afraid by then the pickings will be slim and I'm starting to think maybe I need to wait until next week's delivery. What do y'all think?

The selection wasn't great right now-- even though they had just gotten chicks in. I'd wait until their next shipment and then go out there. You could get a couple for now and then go back. If you knew what you wanted, get it, and then go back for whatever you can't find.

I'm tempted to go finish the back door to my coop today.. We'll see how I feel with the wind. I just hate fighting it. Next time I do a small build like this, I'm going to start it in the barn so it won't matter what the wind or weather does. It's a little too late to try to move it now with no help.

Back
Top Bottom