Contagious- rotating eye squint? Bulging right crop?

Jayteetee

Songster
Jan 21, 2024
Hi all,
I have 5x 4 week old chicks.

I noticed 1 chick had its eye closed & when I opened it it looked slightly pink. The next day it looked fine but another chick had its eye closed. That chick looks fine today, but another chick now has 1 pink eye. They are all eating heaps!

For context- we’ve had bullying issues with 1 clear head roo. Do you think he’s pecking their eyes or is there such thing as a short lived virus that seems to be affecting one chick at a time?
The first chick to have the red eye also has an enlarged bulge that slightly protrudes to the right.. it’s been there for a few weeks. I thought it might have been crop but it’s definitely on the right.

Hi all,
I have 5x 4 week old chicks.

I noticed 1 chick had its eye closed & when I opened it it looked slightly pink. The next day it looked fine but another chick had its eye closed. That chick looks fine today, but another chick now has 1 pink eye. They are all eating heaps!

For context- we’ve had bullying issues with 1 clear head roo. Do you think he’s pecking their eyes or is there such thing as a short lived virus that seems to be affecting one chick at a time?
The first chick to have the red eye also has an enlarged bulge that slightly protrudes to the right.. it’s been there for a few weeks. I thought it might have been crop but it’s definitely on the right.
The crop is on the right side of their body, so that's probably what you're seeing. Check first thing in the morning, before they eat, to see if it's flattened out. Chicks crops will be bulging full most of the day. Can you get a picture of the eye & bulge?

The crop is on the right side of their body, so that's probably what you're seeing. Check first thing in the morning, before they eat, to see if it's flattened out. Chicks crops will be bulging full most of the day. Can you get a picture of the eye & bulge?
Well they all got over their 1 day closed eye. Very mysterious 🤷‍♀️

And I think you must be right then.. it must be full crop 😊

Back
Top Bottom