Ended Contest #15 Guess How Many Eggs Will HATCH! - 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong

Hey guys.. I'm a first time egg layer and I've got a hen sitting on a nest of 5... I discarded 2 today ... 1 clear blood ring and one detached air sack... The other 3 have been there longer but I'm not sure if I'm candling them right... The remaining 3 have clear defined air sacks but the rest of the egg is very dark... I can't tell if I'm looking at a chick or death... Pictures please would help at this point... I'm hatching arstorlorp eggs if it helps... Thanks...

Hey guys.. I'm a first time egg layer and I've got a hen sitting on a nest of 5... I discarded 2 today ... 1 clear blood ring and one detached air sack... The other 3 have been there longer but I'm not sure if I'm candling them right... The remaining 3 have clear defined air sacks but the rest of the egg is very dark... I can't tell if I'm looking at a chick or death... Pictures please would help at this point... I'm hatching arstorlorp eggs if it helps... Thanks...
Make sure that you are candling down into the egg from the air cell end. Here is a thread with daily candling pics to compare progress with. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation Look around the edge of the air cell for veining if the egg is too dark to see anything, that will be your sign they should be viable. Then I would put them back and leave them alone so broody mama can do her job.
wink.png

Make sure that you are candling down into the egg from the air cell end. Here is a thread with daily candling pics to compare progress with. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261876/chicks-are-here-egg-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation  Look around the edge of the air cell for veining if the egg is too dark to see anything, that will be your sign they should be viable. Then I would put them back and leave them alone so broody mama can do her job. ;)  

Thanks so much... Oh and look :eek: post 500!!!!!! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom