Controlling Flies Around Coop

NjQuailer

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2024
Other than cleaning up often and not letting poop accumulate (I clean often), how else can I reduce the number of flies hanging around my quail pen?

I have also used similar traps to those shown in the link above and they work really well. Just an FYI, make sure they are down wind of anyplace you spend time outside, or change them out often. As they fill with dead flies they can stink to high heaven. Any of them you add water to will do that.

I have also used similar traps to those shown in the link above and they work really well. Just an FYI, make sure they are down wind of anyplace you spend time outside, or change them out often. As they fill with dead flies they can stink to high heaven. Any of them you add water to will do that.
It's that awful smell that attracts the flies, though.

I like to plant oregano, then make a chicken wire cage around it. Also, investing in your local Black Soldier Fly population is worth a shot. They are worth three times their weight in gold!

The smell does attract the flies, but as it fills it becomes truly gag worthy. You have excrement eating insects fermenting/rotting. Truly awful. Just make it down wind, so you don't have to enjoy it.
I have planted rosemary bushes, it also seems to help some, the birds like to lay under them to escape the biting gnats.

Try making a bsfl bucket!
Black. Soldier. Fly. Larvae. Bucket. It attracts the flies they lay eggs, the eggs hatch into larvae and then you feed it to your birds and all the flies are contained😁😁. Look it up on youtube!

Try making a bsfl bucket!
Black. Soldier. Fly. Larvae. Bucket. It attracts the flies they lay eggs, the eggs hatch into larvae and then you feed it to your birds and all the flies are contained😁😁. Look it up on youtube!
I actually wrote an article on those. I need to revisit the project this summer. BSF aren't native to my are since it gets too cold for them, but if I can get a colony going in the greenhouse, they may survive since I moved my compost in there to generate some heat during the winter.

I actually wrote an article on those. I need to revisit the project this summer. BSF aren't native to my are since it gets too cold for them, but if I can get a colony going in the greenhouse, they may survive since I moved my compost in there to generate some heat during the winter.
Oh cool!

Back
Top Bottom