Coop Area Double Checking (Again)

Disintegration

Songster
Nov 5, 2020
Northwest Arkansas
I want to make sure (Again, lol) I have everything I need before my chicks arrive in June. I made a really similar post a week ago or so, but I didn't know what kind of chickens I was going to get then. Now I think I've got everything down but I want a double check a second time now that I know exactly what I'm getting.

My coop is a large shed and my run is a 7.5 by 7.5 dog kennel. The coop has more than enough space, but the run is a little tight. 56 square feet for 5 chickens. There isn't that much extra space, but a year after I start up I plan on expanding and adding another 7.5 by 7.5. This is OK right? It's around 10 square feet per chicken?

The shed I'm using has windows with screens, same quality as the type in houses. If I kept these open 24/7 (and put extra security on with hardware cloth), would that be adequate ventilation? I really want to add permanent ventilation at the top too, how big should that be?

Also, I need a good way to keep raccoons out of my run because I'm leaving the door for the chickens open 24/7. It's going to be completely enclosed, even the bottom has welded wire and hardware cloth connected to the actual walls to create a floor that I'll add sand on top of. I'm worried about the door. How can I help secure the dog kennel door? What should I do about locks?

Can 5 large fowl be raised in a melon box (I think they're 4 feet x 4 feet) for the entire 5-6 weeks they need to be in a brooder? I'll be with them the entire 6 weeks, so I can always give them time outside of it if they need it but that would need to be their main home for their first few weeks.

Space sounds ok. Hard to advise on ventilation without photos... though windows are great and I love having them, having ventilation in/under the roofline is even better because ammonia and moisture rises, and the roof will help protect the vents from wind, rain, etc.

4x4 is fine for the brooder, but if you can run electricity out you could just brood them in the coop instead.

Back
Top Bottom